Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Help needed with ID of early LONG FLUTE nickel SAA

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Help needed with ID of early LONG FLUTE nickel SAA

Hello All,
    Looking for your advice here. I have a local buy opportunity on a 1915 SAA but without a Colt letter. It has a serial number 32999x and is a nickel gun with a 5 1/2 barrel, and black rubber grips. My concern is that I have always heard the long flute guns started at serial 330,000.

Do you think this gun is legit? Is is worth the $2500 price tag? I am by no means an expert so your opinions are very welcome.

Here is a pic for reference:
    saintclair and mrcvs like this.

Member #
    Liked
    969 times
    Based on the picture...The bad is it has been refinished. Whether it left the factory as nickel only a letter will tell. The good, most of it looks pretty good. The patent is still fairly crisp (as well as the TG proofs), the screw holes dont appear dished, the grips are nice. I cant see any barrel markings so I dont know if that's just the picture (nickel guns are a bitch to photograph) or if the barrel was over buffed. Overall I dont think the price is too terrible.
    YMMV
    mrcvs and LEO918 like this.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Based on the picture...The bad is it has been refinished. Whether it left the factory as nickel only a letter will tell. The good, most of it looks pretty good. The patent is still fairly crisp (as well as the TG proofs), the screw holes dont appear dished, the grips are nice. I cant see any barrel markings so I dont know if that's just the picture (nickel guns are a bitch to photograph) or if the barrel was over buffed. Overall I dont think the price is too terrible.
    YMMV
    What 29aholic said...

A telltale sign of refinishing is the "softness" of the trigger guard and ears of the backstrap fit to the frame.

A select few long fluted revolvers were just under the 330,000 range. Only a letter can prove if yours is one of those.

My guess is that since this serial number is so close to 330,000, odds are this revolver left the factory with a long flute cylinder as opposed to being fitted with one later.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2812 times
    I can see the 45 Colt marking on the barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    2057 times
    Although it has been refinished it is still a nice looking gun for $2500. The long flute may or may bot be original to the gun. If purchased and lettered, please know that not all of the long flutes will have the Historian's notation that the gun was fitted with a DA cylinder. It is a plus if it is mentioned but not a kiss of death if not mentioned. I would seriously consider buying this piece....I would offer $2k and go from there.

From my notes:

328915 Long Flute, shipped 4/28/1915. 4" sheriff model.
    329810 Long Flute, cylinder not numbered.
    329925 Long Flute, engraved, 4" sheriff model.
    329983 Long Flute. My note says "out of range long flute but original".

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by hwjhfs; 06-18-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Hopalong, Rick and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1841 times
    It has been re-finished and I think it is still worth the $2500.
    Rick and saintclair like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    I think, as others have stated, even as refinished, this would be worth as much as $2500. If you can get it for 2k, even better, but I would go the full $2500 if I had to.

I don't really care much for refinished guns, but this is one gun I wouldn't mind owning despite a refinish.
    saintclair and Rick like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7588 times
    A telltale sign of refinishing is the "softness" of the trigger guard and ears of the backstrap fit to the frame.
    It may very well be refinished. However, I bought a Police Positive some years back. The photos appeared to show the same soft edges, but when I got the gun in hand, the seams were nice and tight. Somehow the photos made the seams look softer than they were.

That being said, I would still buy that long flute refinished or not. I've seen a lot worse. That's a nice looking, rare gun for the money.
    Last edited by Hopalong; 06-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    hwjhfs and 22Flattop like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thank you all for the good comments! It really does help and I plan to look at the gun in person this weekend.
    hwjhfs and 29aholic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2059 times
    This might be a good time to remind any owner of a Long Flute model Single Action Army revolver that they should fire these guns using black powder ONLY!!!

The long flute cylinders originated from the Model 1878 DA revolver, as they were left over when this model was discontinued in 1905. The cylinders in the Long Flute Model cannot have been produced any later than 1905, and, in all likelihood, were produced several years earlier, during the black powder era.
    Hopalong and WVCOLT like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links