Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Case color by Clyde Crashcup

Member #
    Liked
    2674 times

Case color by Clyde Crashcup

CIMG2878.JPGCIMG2879.JPGCIMG2880.JPGCIMG2881.JPG

I hope these photos do this beautiful work justice. Hey Terry W., these are your three frames. We're getting there buddy!

JP
    Last edited by jplower; 06-25-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1232 times
    Those look great!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    Looks really great! Will they be given a protective coating against rust and wear using a 2400 Series Gun Kote clear coat?
    lounick likes this.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    Those look amazing! Where do I send my gun? Take my money!
    skwcoltguy and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2674 times
    I would never put clear coat on these, the originals were not coated 100 years ago or today by the factory. The problem with a clear coat is
    that if it flakes for some reason, it takes color with it. These have a light coat of sperm oil, just like th eoriginals wold have had. And, the surface
    is hard, truly a case hardened, rather than just a case colored finish. Glad you all appreciate them. I wish I could advance Mr. Crashcup's services
    to you all but he is very adamant about doing this only for yours truly.

P

Member #
    Liked
    1232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    I would never put clear coat on these, the originals were not coated 100 years ago or today by the factory. The problem with a clear coat is
    that if it flakes for some reason, it takes color with it. These have a light coat of sperm oil, just like th eoriginals wold have had. And, the surface
    is hard, truly a case hardened, rather than just a case colored finish. Glad you all appreciate them. I wish I could advance Mr. Crashcup's services
    to you all but he is very adamant about doing this only for yours truly.

P
    I’ll pass on these anyway. As great as the look, I’d rather not get sperm oil on my hands unless it’s my own. Where’s it come from anyway? Actually I’d rather not know.
    lounick and MARKGGTP like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sperm oil was considered to be the finest lubricating oil on earth. It was made from the Sperm whale and has nothing to do with whale seamen. If you have some your lucky because I don't think you can get it anymore. But if you still feel a little puney go ahead and paint your guns with clear lacquer and get a tofu sandwich for lunch. If you own any original first or second generation Colts better put some gloves on. Just adding some humor. Dave you do good work.
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2674 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    I’ll pass on these anyway. As great as the look, I’d rather not get sperm oil on my hands unless it’s my own. Where’s it come from anyway? Actually I’d rather not know.
    First it is actually not oil, although it feels like it. It's an ester, a body fluid from the Sperm Whale. The head of the whale had a large reservoir with gallons of the pure oil, and they would also render the blubber to get the oil. You can still buy this on Ebay occasionally as Brownell's sold it in the 60's and cans of it turn up. When whaling was outlawed in the US in the seventies, production stooped. Luberzol Corp in Willowick Ohio sold over a million gallons to the automotive industry. It made the best high performance lubrication known at the time, and that sometimes turns up on Ebay too. It brings up case color like no other product, and on older arms that have a dried coating of "varnish" that has yellowed out, well, that's old sperm oil, not varnish. Works as a fuel for lighting and candles, made virtually smoke less flames.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6760 times
    I think those are perfect examples of what case color should look like.

Member #
    Liked
    2674 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    I think those are perfect examples of what case color should look like.
    I'd have to agree of course. As for the pattern coverage, I think a lot depends on the period of production and the fact that these frames were already hardened
    once in the past. One in particular was still very hard during the resurfacing, but it turned out great. Yessir, Clyde knows what the heck he is doing, he's made a
    study of it, and the results are as close to original as one can get. The only thing missing is water from the Connecticut river, and if you could find 50 gallons of that water from 1890, the process would be identical.

JP
    Hopalong and lounick like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links