Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    That is excessive hammer cock position, seems it would be uncomfortable to hold. For the price of these things you would think they would fit the backstrap to the frame more precisely, as least as good as a Pietta or Uberti.
    Attachment 641851
    I just checked it live in person and the fit is much better than shown in the picture. I was also able to turn that screw about 1/4 turn with no problem or fear of overtighten it.

I'm pleased with it and it's better than many I've seen. The colors look more like a brindle boxer but I'm just going to shoot it anyway.

I don't know if the he hammer coming back further will cause me any problems shooting it. We'll see. The only way to correct it is basically rebuild the action, I'm thinking.
    chrometank likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    I have a S86xxxA P1870 with much more vibrant case colors with a lot of blue in it. I also picked up a P1850 custom shop gun S7xxxxA serial number that has similar brilliant case colors and fit and finish on the custom shop gun is excellent. I'll have to post some better pics of it. Maybe this weekend.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1824 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I just checked it live in person and the fit is much better than shown in the picture. I was also able to turn that screw about 1/4 turn with no problem or fear of overtighten it.

I'm pleased with it and it's better than many I've seen. The colors look more like a brindle boxer but I'm just going to shoot it anyway.

I don't know if the he hammer coming back further will cause me any problems shooting it. We'll see. The only way to correct it is basically rebuild the action, I'm thinking.
    Is your hammer actually touching the backstrap at full cock? There should be a little gap. If not, you have some overtravel. Here are pictures of a 3rd gen of mkine and a 1st gen that was worked over by Jim Martin. Note the slight gap. Keep in mind that a 2nd gen hammer is shaped differently than a 3rd gen. That may be what you are seeing/feeling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    571 times
    Overtravel means the hand or the trigger is too short. The 3rd Gen hammers have a thinner 'shank' as opposed to 1st-2nd Gen hammers for some reason. I guess they didn't shorten the trigger at the factory.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1254 times
    Your grips look pretty good. One of my 3rd Gen Guns were so low below the bottom of the frame,reminded me of
    Johhny Knoxville in “Bad Grampa”.
    skwcoltguy and chrometank like this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1634 times
    Turnbull does case on CCS P’s only ........ one reason they are at a higher price.
    COLT TO THE CORE

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21379 times
    That case coloring lacks vibrancy. Just about all the newer ones I have seen are that way. I am boycotting them until they get better!
    Still a very nice looking SAA by today's standards.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    That case coloring lacks vibrancy. Just about all the newer ones I have seen are that way. I am boycotting them until they get better!
    What can I say. The price was reasonable by today's standards. The seller sent me extra photos so I got what I expected.

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    What can I say. The price was reasonable by today's standards. The seller sent me extra photos so I got what I expected.
    I’ve paid a lot more for a lot less. I think you did pretty good
    sturmgewehr likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1254 times

Question, does my first post come up formatted ok? I always have problems with pictures. I put that post up using Windows on my PC. It looked good on the edit screen but came up strage on preview. I couldn't make it look right on preview so I posted it. It looks even different when viewed on my Android tablet.
    Speaking of pics,whose photo is the first one? Looking at the patent dates and the rampant Colt,it looks either out
    of focus or it’s “double struck”. You need some better pics.

Last edited by sturmgewehr; 07-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links