Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions

Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Bibbyman,

The hammer over travel is a bit questionable to me*, but the rest of the gun look fine to me.............Yeah, I've got a few Colts with less than stellar case colors, but then ......no two are the same.

I'd say, Enjoy your new Colt, shoot the heck out of it, and learn all about its POA/POI characteristics.............

* I'll need to check my recent ones, but I've grown very fond of a recent Uberti El Patron Competition model with the lowered Bisley style hammer............It shoots to POA/POI, too........

Tom

Member #
    Liked
    1057 times
    I think the cocked hammer looks fine and as it should be. I always grip any revolver as high as possible and when shooting my SAAs I want the hammer to be touching the web of my hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    Bibbyman,

The hammer over travel is a bit questionable to me*, but the rest of the gun look fine to me.............Yeah, I've got a few Colts with less than stellar case colors, but then ......no two are the same.

I'd say, Enjoy your new Colt, shoot the heck out of it, and learn all about its POA/POI characteristics.............

* I'll need to check my recent ones, but I've grown very fond of a recent Uberti El Patron Competition model with the lowered Bisley style hammer............It shoots to POA/POI, too........

Tom
    The wife and I each have Taylor's Smoke Wagons in 44WCF for Cowboy Action Shooting. Both pairs have the low wide "Runnin Irons" hammers. Mine have 5-1/2" barrels and her's has 4-5/8". I shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category.
    Last edited by Bibbyman; 07-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    saintclair and Tomray like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1337 times
    Don't like the looks of this.
    large (2).jpg

And what is with that patent date/horse stamping?

Member #
    Liked
    1337 times
    While we are evaluating, the screws do not look good for a high priced gun. Or even for a low priced gun.

SAA left side July 2019 (2).jpg

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    The guys have sharp eyes. But the anomalies you're seeing are not there.

The patent date and horse are not double strick. It does have a streak of different color running through the patent date. I wiped the gun down with an old white t-shirt so what looks to be buggered screws are dust particles from the t-shirt clinging to the edge of the slots. What looks to be an abnormal cylinder gap is the reflection from the chamfer on the front of the cylinder.

Working within the 400k picture size limit has been a problem posting sharp pictures.

I did get around to shooting it this morning. Black powder in the drizzling rain. Not my best performance. I had a hard time reaching the hammer (new Colt in my left hand). The stiff hammer spring and heavy trigger pull kind of threw me off. The high humidity and no breeze totally blocked the targets with smoke.

https://youtu.be/Q117Sbl-pFA

I have more video that I intend to edit into a review of this gun and my well worn second generation Colt SAA in 45Colt.
    Mosby likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6043 times
    Good shooting! Kind of like a heavy fog at sea, eh?!

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    We loaded up and went to a Cowboy Action Shooting match this morning. I took the new Colt for "show and tell". I had packed my pair of Cattleman 45Colt with Runnin' Irons hammers to shoot. Along the way, I decided to shoot the Colt in at least one stage. By the time we got there, I had decided if I was going to shoot it on stage, I may as well shoot it all 6 and not have to clean one more gun. I got along ok with the Colt but it's not as smooth as my Uberti. I stopped in at MidwayUSA on way home and picked up Wolff reduced power springs. I'll break it down and do some polishing and install the lighter springs and see if there is an improvement.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    We loaded up and went to a Cowboy Action Shooting match this morning. I took the new Colt for "show and tell". I had packed my pair of Cattleman 45Colt with Runnin' Irons hammers to shoot. Along the way, I decided to shoot the Colt in at least one stage. By the time we got there, I had decided if I was going to shoot it on stage, I may as well shoot it all 6 and not have to clean one more gun. I got along ok with the Colt but it's not as smooth as my Uberti. I stopped in at MidwayUSA on way home and picked up Wolff reduced power springs. I'll break it down and do some polishing and install the lighter springs and see if there is an improvement.
    Great looking Colt! My hammer sits back same as yours. Seems fine to me! Let us know how the Wolff springs feel.

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I would recommend against the Wolff spring and get the smith industry reduced spring instead.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links