Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    I would recommend against the Wolff spring and get the smith industry reduced spring instead.
    I don't find anything listing springs for Colt for Smith Industries. Did you mean Smith Enterprises? They list hands and bolts and screws but no hammer springs.

I've got Wolff springs in most of a dozen single actions and not had a problem.

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I don't find anything listing springs for Colt for Smith Industries. Did you mean Smith Enterprises? They list hands and bolts and screws but no hammer springs.

I've got Wolff springs in most of a dozen single actions and not had a problem.
    Somebody on here has their number, but I am pretty sure you can get them from VTI as well. The Wolff springs work fine, until they don't. I know two people, one of them our own Jim Martin, that have had them break on one of the sides and cut their hands. That middle cutaway part is just not the best design. The hourglass is much better.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I got around to measuring how far the hammer comes back to full cock on the new Colt. To find a common point so not to confuse hammer profile, I measured from the point of the firing pin to the bottom of the sight notch. My two second generation measured 1.24". The new third generation measured 1.39. A noticeable difference.
    Tomray likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    978 times
    Lots of interesting critiques on a brand new early 2019 Colt fresh out of the factory. When judging a gun like this I am always reminded of my pastor's sermon on "Perfection". He says there is no such thing as "Perfection", it doesn't exist. But there is such a thing as "Excellence". It is possible and should be strived for. So we can't achieve "Perfection", but we can achieve "Excellence". I think he may have been right. Thus endeth the sermon.
    chrometank likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    were measuring the length the hammer pulls back now..... Yikes .

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKO65 View Post
    were measuring the length the hammer pulls back now..... Yikes .
    Well, from the first time I cocked the gun, I could feel the difference. That and raspy feel of the action. (No wonder they tie down the hammers in new Colt SAAs!) Comparing it to my second generation Colts, it looked like a longer stroke. I just measured it to confirm.

I do Cowboy Action Shooting so try to shoot fast. Not that .15 longer hammer distance is a problem but it's different enough to end up short stroking when you have been shooting ones with a shorter stroke for 50 years.
    CHIZ likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman View Post
    I do Cowboy Action Shooting so try to shoot fast. Not that .15 longer hammer distance is a problem but it's different enough to end up short stroking when you have been shooting ones with a shorter stroke for 50 years.
    That's a great point. Out of the box for the average Joe its just fine. But for competition type stuff you'd want to for sure get that baby custom tuned to your style.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post
    That's a great point. Out of the box for the average Joe its just fine. But for competition type stuff you'd want to for sure get that baby custom tuned to your style.
    It's not a big deal but I shoot Frontier Cartrage Gunfighter. That is shooting a gun in each hand. So I'm just gripping and cocking with one hand - left and right. The Frontier part is black powder or subs.

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texagun View Post
    Lots of interesting critiques on a brand new early 2019 Colt fresh out of the factory. When judging a gun like this I am always reminded of my pastor's sermon on "Perfection". He says there is no such thing as "Perfection", it doesn't exist. But there is such a thing as "Excellence". It is possible and should be strived for. So we can't achieve "Perfection", but we can achieve "Excellence". I think he may have been right. Thus endeth the sermon.
    I beg to differ. Just transferred a Colt centennial model and I can't find a single flaw with it. Such a pure work of art. I'm seriously happy with it.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    I beg to differ. Just transferred a Colt centennial model and I can't find a single flaw with it. Such a pure work of art. I'm seriously happy with it.
    A couple of weeks back we drove 3 hours through heavy thunderstorms to look at a Centennial at Cabelas in Kansas City Kansas. Even though it showed available on their gun library, it was already sold and gone. We were not happy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links