Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions

Member #
    Liked
    141 times

Brand New SAA P1850 - First impressions

We just picked it up yesterday afternoon from the FFL. Model P1850. I take it that it's a very recent manufacture. The box has a 19-4-26 date written on it. The serial number is S8625xA. I'm pleased overall with the fit and finish.

The color case has a lot of brown and gray and very little blue.

The fit of the grips are better than I expected. But the bottom of the panels are left raw. I will polish them out.

The timing seems ok but the action is stiff and rough. I've not been inside it yet.

But one of the odd things I noticed right off is that the hammer came back noticeably further than my other Colts - or Uberti for that matter. It comes back far enough to touch the web of my hand.

Tomorrow is my birthday so I plan to take it out and shoot a video of the first shots. I'm expecting my old SAA made in 1962 back from having the hammer rebuild today. I may do some side by sides.
    Last edited by Bibbyman; 07-03-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    Looks pretty good to me. Too bad the action didn't get some attention at the factory before shipping. I like the CCH, if it is clear coated maybe they used something with more of a satin finish. The glossy clear coat always looks wrong to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1037 times
    I too just purchased a P1850 3 weeks ago. I am very happy with the quality of build and timing too. Granted, it does not feel like Mr. Harton has worked on it but I did not expect it too. A few drops of lubricant (SL2000) blown in with canned air and mine feels very smooth and the timing is perfect. I have not paid attention to how far back the hammer goes, seems fine to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    Looks pretty good to me. Too bad the action didn't get some attention at the factory before shipping. I like the CCH, if it is clear coated maybe they used something with more of a satin finish. The glossy clear coat always looks wrong to me.
    I think it'll smooth out some. But a lot of it fills like stiff springs. I probably have a Wolffe reduced power spring I'll put in it and do some very light honing inside the frame, etc.

The nickel second generation 71 year next to it was fired but otherwise like new. I was shocked at how rough the action felt on it and how rough it was inside. I did some light honing inside the frame, sides of bolt, hand and hammer where they rub and install a Wolffe reduced power spring. It's smooth as glass now.

Question, does my first post come up formatted ok? I always have problems with pictures. I put that post up using Windows on my PC. It looked good on the edit screen but came up strage on preview. I couldn't make it look right on preview so I posted it. It looks even different when viewed on my Android tablet.

Member #
    Liked
    1337 times
    That is excessive hammer cock position, seems it would be uncomfortable to hold. For the price of these things you would think they would fit the backstrap to the frame more precisely, as least as good as a Pietta or Uberti.
    SAA right side July 3 2019 (2).jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1037 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    That is excessive hammer cock position, seems it would be uncomfortable to hold. For the price of these things you would think they would fit the backstrap to the frame more precisely, as least as good as a Pietta or Uberti.
    SAA right side July 3 2019 (2).jpg
    Come on John. This is 2019 not 1919. For the way things are made now a day's................New Colts are pretty darn good. Nothing like a hundred years ago, but still pretty darn good.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14290 times
    Your serial is the latest production and about 1,000 past the SAA frame recall, so thatís good too.
    I have not been impressed with Colts latest case hardening colors lately.
    Turnbulls is doing the frame finishing for Colts according to who Iíve talked to there , but I donít know if they do ALL of the frames and when they started doing them. You can call Turnbulls if you like and provide your serial. They will have record and tell you if they finished that fame. It doesnít look like Turnbulls brilliant results... but photo lighting, clear coating or lack thereof .. several factors can make colors look dull or brilliant.
    saintclair likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    1337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scstrain View Post
    Come on John. This is 2019 not 1919. For the way things are made now a day's................New Colts are pretty darn good. Nothing like a hundred years ago, but still pretty darn good.
    I don't think it is asking too much for an expensive Colt to be fitted as good as an Italian replica that costs 1/4 the price.

Member #
    Liked
    1037 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    I don't think it is asking too much for an expensive Colt to be fitted as good as an Italian replica that costs 1/4 the price.
    I agree John, and I have also just purchased a, "New Colt". I must be getting old, I remember when the Italian guns were half the price of what they are now. I guess Uberti and Pietta are really getting to us. It's all relevant.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14290 times
    Also, just FYI that the bottom of your stocks at the heel there is normal, at least on all the third generations.
    scstrain likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links