Storing SAAs
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Storing SAAs

Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    I have almost 40 years of using Marvel Mystery Oil on my firearms..................Wipe on, wipe off!................Never had a problem.............

Tom

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Mine is in a holster by the side of my bed piled up with a few Rugers and a New Service .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun - Do Not Touch

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    Quote Originally Posted by what would you say View Post
    In a climate controlled area Renn waxed or oil wiped down and recommend checking on them on a regularly scheduled basis...
    If In a non-climate controlled (garage safe or somewhere temp and humidity varies with outside weather) then that’s much more risky to me. I’d say not such thing as safe long term Unless your going with grease coating with something that maybe others recommend. It’s a big investment for a “set and forget “ so climate controlled is best.
    My garage ranges in temperature from warm to hot. Coldest it gets here is down into the high 30s overnight during the winter and in the garage in my gun safe it probably never gets down below 50 degrees. Max temp in the garage during summer is probably in the 90s. Humidity is typically 60-70% but it can get very dry here when the Santa Ana winds blow with humidity in the 15-20% range.

I don't store any of my guns in the original boxes/cases and definitely not just sitting on a gun rug or carpeted safe interior either. I have some Brownells gun paper that I lay my non-nickel plated guns on. All guns are cleaned and oiled prior to storage.
    victorio1sw and sumthin_nu like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1694 times
    Since this topic was brought up, any ideas as to what to do if one has a very large antique safe in a garage that is not climate controlled?

So I can use the safe and not worry about irreparable damage. This one might not have a cut & dry answer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    For a few months, or a few years , there isn't anything much better, or safer on antique CC or blueing , than RIG grease...
    I have to agree...................................nothing better then Rig Grease.

rig2.jpg
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    799 times
    Does one need to safe dehumidify when safe is indoors in A/C house?
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    This for short time:....................... This for long term:

rustepruff.jpgrig2.jpg

Have used both for over 40 years. Even for the outside the house, if you coat the SAA inside and out with Rig Grease you will have no problem for years. Lay it on thick, inside bore, cylinders, etc. Just clean it out before you shoot it again. The rusteprufe liquid is great for in and out of the safe inside. I live in the hot humid Texas coastal area and have never had any rust problems using only these two products, and I do not have a de-humid stick in my safe.
    Last edited by scstrain; 07-06-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    I can highly recommend the installation of an auto-switchover thermostat (cost $150). This keeps your home at set temperature. Mine is set for 74F on cooling, and 71F on heating (so the total variance year round is a mere 3F). Most A/C guys will try to sell the device because its programmable. Their logic has been proven dead wrong! In fact, when your home is kept at nearly the same temperature 24/7 a reduction in power usage will be noticed.
    sumthin_nu and highway08 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwichCadet View Post
    It is certainly added protection if you have a way to get the electrical cord into your safe, one of the electric heaters, "Goldenrod" or such, keeps the temperature in the safe just a few degrees warmer than the outside air which prevents condensation. Humidity by itself will not damage your guns unless your guns become cooler than the surrounding air.

Certainly not the only thing you can do, but has worked for me since the first dedicated gun safes came out.

Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    Since this topic was brought up, any ideas as to what to do if one has a very large antique safe in a garage that is not climate controlled?

So I can use the safe and not worry about irreparable damage. This one might not have a cut & dry answer.
    mrcvs,

One of my safes is an antique Diebold fireproof commercial office/business safe. My other is a commercial long gun safe.......neither is air tight and neither has a de-humidifier in it.
    Some firearms are in gun rugs, some in original boxes, but I've never had any rust issues..........

Thanks to a steady basement temperature /humidity climate and Marvel Mystery Oil.........

I've tried the Ren Wax treatment, but prefer the Mystery Oil......

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 07-07-2019 at 04:38 AM.
    mrcvs and sumthin_nu like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links