Custom Shop Colt or Standard Mfg - who's the Master?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Custom Shop Colt or Standard Mfg - who's the Master?

Member #
    Liked
    1085 times
    I wasn't sure at first, but I gotta say, the looks of this Standard .44-40 have been growing on me.

Garret44CAL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    "If I had the choice today to buy one and only one it would be a Standard, and that's tough for me to say." And you would not own a Colt Single Action. Sad.

Colt Forum Friend

Member #
    Liked
    1068 times
    I would and do own Colts, but I stated if I had to buy "one" today which I would choose knowing the quality and consistency of both products from the inside out. That's just my personal choice. My opinion also leads me to say I would never own a second generation but that's me.

Brent
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15371 times
    As always.. great to hear from you, Brent , and thanks for sharing. I speak for myself but I suspect others feel likewise.
    JTom, Red River and Capps like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjt72 View Post
    I would and do own Colts, but I stated if I had to buy "one" today which I would choose knowing the quality and consistency of both products from the inside out. That's just my personal choice. My opinion also leads me to say I would never own a second generation but that's me.

Brent
    Actually you said "If I had the choice today to buy one and only one it would be a Standard" If a person who does not own an SAA felt as you, and they would buy "one and only one" SAA and that would be a Standard SAA and not a Colt SAA, they would never own a Colt SAA. Hopefully new buyers buying their "one and only one" SAA are not depriving themselves of owning a Colt SAA. Sounds like some people here should start a Standard Forum.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15371 times
    Brent is pretty much the one of a very very small group that has real experience to speak on the subject of comparison from a manufacturers perspective. I donít think anyone should try to chase him off if you donít agree with his opinion.
    Itís certainly fine to not agree and tell why, but I think itís not too cool to tell someone they belong somewhere else.

the rest of us are really just talking from the perspective of what we like, and what we see, not from anything close to expert of the manufacturing process, materials used, etc. etc.
    Last edited by what would you say; 08-27-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    1012 times
    Thanks for your comments Brent. Always glad to see you back.
    JTom, what would you say and Ugly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times

Brent
    I hear what you say. I'm kicking around the idea of buying a Standard just to have. You got me a little bummed on the no for a second gen. , that's the one and only Colt I own . Just for my curiosity , is your choice just taste or manufacturing or ?
    Thanks for your time , Tom

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15371 times
    Iím gonna submit a guess to say the second gen thing is because the manufacturing tools were wearing out and Iíve read that the reason that Colt stopped 2nd gen production in the 1970ís in order to retool. Then they started back with the third with changes made to to third also .. but again, I donít know Iím very interested and dang good question, Some guy.
    One would think the 2nd gen would be awesome when Colt resumed production after WWII. Maybe they are and the late 2ndís are not so good.. idk.

I donít own a second gen, myself. Lots of thirds.. few 1st gens, but itís all simply because of rarity of 2nds in my area.
    JTom likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1134 times
    Ok, I will chime in with some facts since I was involved with both. Standard Mfg. materials are better, no cast or mim parts all machined to tighter tolerances. Yes, a couple of the custom shop smiths and two USFA smiths work there, but only one of the CCS smiths now since one passed away earlier this year. He was a great talent and a sore loss to Colt gunsmithing. I was involved in the development of the Standard gun, it is not machined with someone else's prints nor built with someone else's parts. All Standard MFG. If there is a dimensional difference in a part, it was an improvement over a older design. If I had the choice today to buy one and only one it would be a Standard, and that's tough for me to say.

Brent
    This speaks volumes!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links