Custom Shop Colt or Standard Mfg - who's the Master?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Custom Shop Colt or Standard Mfg - who's the Master?

Member #
    Liked
    6147 times

Custom Shop Colt or Standard Mfg - who's the Master?

I saw the report on this forum about the high prices of "Custom Shop" SAA. Researching Standard Manufacturing as I decide who to buy a SAA from, I see a link that says 4 former Colt Master Custom Shop gunsmiths went to Standard. I hadn't heard that before, maybe I don't pay enough attention. But 4 former Colt SAA experts making the SAA at Standard. Who is making the Custom Shop SAAs now at Colt?

People here often say "Colt has the experience in making SAAs" but really experience is in the hands of the Masters. The experts. The ones who made them in the 1960s and talked to people who made them pre WWII. A building, a company name, a piece of machinery, even "operating instructions" are nothing without human expertise and experience. Right? Does Standard have more of that now? Your choice is Colts $3000 + for a Custom Shop SAA with a few requested features, and assumed higher fit and finish or $1800 for a lesser SAA. Or the Standard Mfg SAA which is priced where Colt's base model is, and seems higher quality. Hard to decide to give Colt the same price for worse color case hardening, or double the price for a Colt made "right."

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/10/2...gh-res-photos/
    Last edited by azshot; 07-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Ugly, STORM2 and ArkieVol like this.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I have 3 Standard single actions that I bought from Buds.

They are all as close to perfect as a revolver can get.
    Just as good as a USFA or a Colt. AND they're in stock and ready to ship.

I almost peed my pants when all three shot to the exact point of aim.
    Fit and finish are perfect. Timing is prefect. You couldn't want any better in an 1873 SAA clone.

The 7.5 inch barreled one is disturbingly accurate. I've shot one hole groups at 15yrds, from a rest.
    I think there might be something else going on there.
    Last edited by shooter214; 07-07-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Ugly, Cozmo, lounick and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2547 times
    My plan is to thin my herd and use the money to buy a standard single action.

I am damn glad they are making them and the company seems to be doing well!
    shooter214, lounick and ArkieVol like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Chevy VS Ford. Whatever floats your boat. They are both nice. I like my Colts.
    sixguns and ussmanlovede36 like this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    624 times
    While I mostly agree with Hearsedriver, and modern Colt SAAs seem better built than those of 25 years ago, I still see enough boo-boos on Colts to make me shake my head. I don't own any SAA that isn't a Colt product but that is pure bias on my part. Given the price difference noted in the OP and in the other current threads on this topic, I'm just glad that there are quality replicas available for the beginner to purchase that are high quality options.

If it were not for the competition Cimarron et al. provided back in the day, pretty safe to say Colt would have continued to make a pretty marginal SAA at a price newbies would not have been willing to pay until the original SAA design ceased to exist in the market as a new item.

Member #
    Liked
    13944 times
    If you think it is a chevy-ford debate you missing a few things. More like Porsche/Mustang debate. Not much of a debate when you look at the details and performance or costs.

Must have been some interesting discussions between USFA staff and Doug, then Colt staff and management, then the owner of Standard and who ever made it to that meeting. Loved to have been a fly on the walls for that.

"So Doug, sell me your CNC program?" "We are shutting down the Colt Custom Shop,selling off all the inventory, and laying off the entire staff next week." "Ya, custom shop orders? No clue, those fools can wait for a refund or a gun...they always do."

"Mr Frutuoso, can we meet for coffee? I have a set of CNC programs I think you might be interested in?". "Sure I know a bunch of very talented locals that could make this all happen...better than it has ever been done " "How much can they retail for?" "Our best 2nd hand USFA's still NIB are selling for $2500" "Our whole costs were $750.00" New Colts when they can be had are iffy at best for quality and finish and sell @ $1800. full retail. I can guarantee we'll be better than any current Colt 1st time out of the barn. "Let's make that happen!" "The new standard of the SAA industry price? Retail @ $2000 retail or better yet $1899. seems reasonable to me." "At $1000 per gun over our typical margins I am in...sign that crew up!" "Now lets run a proto type off that CNC program "

Call it the perfect storm.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 07-07-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Shooter214, may I ask what ammo you used that shoot to point of aim? Thank you.

I don't have one, but your comment makes me think I might want one.

Member #
    Liked
    6147 times
    I've thought that if a) Standard is making a better SAA than Colt and b) many of the old Colt masters went to Standard, why doesn't Colt just licence Standard? Stamp "Colt" on it, and let people get the best of both worlds: 1920 quality, and the vaunted Colt name stamp.

BTW, all I own is real Colts too. But 1st generation. Used to have an Italian cap and ball back in the 70s, but sold it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I "heard" that standard is working on doing that with Colt

Member #
    Liked
    1240 times
    You can only buy a SAA from Colt. Anything else is a different name, as Colt has trademarked it. Standard calls it an SAR.

Where are you guys getting this information about colt former employees working for standard and standard talking with colt regarding license agreements?

Yahoody, it’s almost like you were actually there. Were you that fly? I can’t inagjne it went much different than that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links