Cleaning BP SAAs.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Cleaning BP SAAs.

Member #
    Liked
    1383 times
    I seem to remember S&W advertising that you could remove the grips and put their SS guns in the dishwasher. I never tried it and don't know anyone that will admit to doing it. Then again, a likely scenario is that my memory is shot to hell.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    Threads like this is why I only shoot smokeless powder. I also don't own pre 1900 Colt SAA's.
    Cozmo and Some guy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInTx View Post
    I usually scrub out the barrel and cylinder in the kitchen sink (using water as hot as I can stand), oil everything and put them away. If I have shot a lot of BP, every couple of months I'll take them down to parts and pieces.
    I've also had good luck with just using Ballistol.
    Hickok 45 loves Ballistol for BP guns even while shooting to keep the fouling soft. Watch his video shooting a BP Colt FSS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6152 times
    Blackpowder - Lots of smoke and lots of fouling that is easy to remove. Water or any solvent will push it all out in 4-5 passes of a patch. Smoke fouling on the cylinder and frame wipes off with a wet rag.

Smokeless - No smoke and much less fouling that is hard to remove. Good solvents will scrub it all out with many patches, brushes, more patches. Smoke fouling on the cylinder and frame requires a good scrubbing with solvents.
    Last edited by azshot; 07-09-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    mrcvs, bighipiron, Dave_T and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    back to the dishwasher comments, guys, its not like I put my guns in the dishwasher every time i go shooting! My Ruger Old Army that I bought new in late 1970's has been in the dishwasher maybe a 6 or 7 times and I dare you to find a spec of rust or even evidence of past rust. I have not put my Colt SAA in there because 1: I have not shot BP in it YET 2: its Nickel plated and I don't know how that would handle the dishwasher. But I have put my Uberti 1851 Navy and my Uberti SAA in there, no issues. But I do oil them when they come out squeaky clean. I usually do all the parts in the ultrasonic, I would not put all the small internals in the dishwasher.

For me the dishwasher is "oh crap, I don't have time to clean this thing for a few days" kind of event and I normally avoid shooting BP if I know that I won't have the time to clean them ahead of time. I have been shooting BP since the 1970's and I find sitting on a short stool with a bucket of warm soapy water in front of me quite therapeutic and enjoy cleaning my BP guns, so yeah, I have used the dishwasher but avoid it like I used to avoid smokeless powder, now only thing I avoid is Glocks.
    YES ! I own a COLT ! A beautiful SAA in 45 Colt. It lives next to my Italian clones but I finally own one of the real thing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    Threads like this is why I only shoot smokeless powder. I also don't own pre 1900 Colt SAA's.
    You are missing out on a lot of fun. Nothing like the smell of REAL black powder. Very easy to clean.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    The "put er in the dishwasher" solution is offered for so many things besides dishes, and is so wrong. How will your internal springs and carbon steel parts like being sprayed with water, then sitting during the "dry" cycle? How do cast iron or carbon steel knives do in the dishwasher? If you feel brave, try it and let us know how it turned out.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Even from me, I could be wrong and a dishwasher may be a great place to clean them. Just know I wouldn't do it.
    My Mom was out visiting us a few years ago and put one a Henckels chef's knife in the dishwasher. It cracked the handle... I never put my good knives in the dishwasher.

I don't own a BP gun and have never cleaned any gun by putting it in the dishwasher. Now, motorcycle parts on the other hand.

Member #
    Liked
    575 times
    I wouldn't put my gun in the dishwasher, no need to. Clean the barrel, cyl and cyl window with warm water or water Ballistol mixture. Then light oiling.
    MarkInTx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Daytona Beach on a quiet night you can hear the Harley-Davidsons rusting when they're sitting still with the engine off. Just the chrome not the rubber tires!

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    I just remembered. Our dishwasher is 67 years old and has white hair.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links