Cleaning BP SAAs.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Cleaning BP SAAs.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Cleaning BP SAAs.

So if hot, soapy water is the way to clean a BP gun, can you put them in the dishwasher to get cleaned up?? Just askin'. Thnx Mark in AZ

Member #
    Liked
    1243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Giladad1 View Post
    So if hot, soapy water is the way to clean a BP gun, can you put them in the dishwasher to get cleaned up?? Just askin'. Thnx Mark in AZ
    Not if you want to stay married

Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    How far down do you take it to clean it? A full detail strip or just the usual cylinder and barrel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Just this morning I scrubbed out the barrels and cylinders of two SA in the kitchen sink.

Tape up inside botton and recoil shield to prevent water from getting into the action. Take off ejector housing. Run water through from forcing cone end. Scrub with brass brush. Repeat until water runs clean. Use brush on chambers of cylinder while under running water. Wipe dry and blow out chambers.

Run dry patches through bore and chambers. Coat everything with Thompson's Bore Butter. Assemble. Done.

All before wife woke up! I had her coffee ready.

PS, she thinks we need a water softener because the kitchen sink has a sulfur smell.

Member #
    Liked
    1383 times
    I usually scrub out the barrel and cylinder in the kitchen sink (using water as hot as I can stand), oil everything and put them away. If I have shot a lot of BP, every couple of months I'll take them down to parts and pieces.
    I've also had good luck with just using Ballistol.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    My SAA may or may not have been in the dishwasher a few times while the wife was out of town

If it was in the dishwasher it sure came out clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    saintclair and sumthin_nu like this.
    YES ! I own a COLT ! A beautiful SAA in 45 Colt. It lives next to my Italian clones but I finally own one of the real thing.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    An ultrasonic cleaner would probably work well also. But I try not to get junk in the action.

Member #
    Liked
    6152 times
    The "put er in the dishwasher" solution is offered for so many things besides dishes, and is so wrong. How will your internal springs and carbon steel parts like being sprayed with water, then sitting during the "dry" cycle? How do cast iron or carbon steel knives do in the dishwasher? If you feel brave, try it and let us know how it turned out.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Even from me, I could be wrong and a dishwasher may be a great place to clean them. Just know I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by azshot; 07-08-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    CHIZ, mrcvs, MarkInTx and 2 others like this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1691 times
    Right! If stainless steel utensils rust over time due to being in the dishwasher, none of my revolvers will ever see the inside of a dishwasher. No way...no how!

See what happens to a cast iron pan when in the dishwasher and you will see what I mean.
    bighipiron likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1845 times
    I think it depends on how often you shoot black powder. I spend a day shooting it maybe once every 2 or 3 months so, I take my guns completely apart and soak them in soapy water in a plastic container that I got at Walmart. Scrub, dry, lubricate and reassemble. I enjoy cleaning and inspecting my guns . If you shoot BP on a regular basis, I would do like Bibbyman and just run the water through the barrel and scrub with a brush. Same with the cylinder. Putting a gun in the dishwasher would just be stupid.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links