Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How to Remove A Stuck 1st Generation Cylinder Pin Bushing

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1155 times
    Thanks, the bushing in my gen 1 is stuck, I may give this a try.

The bushing in my Pietta Pistolero has to be tapped out with a delrin punch.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Is there anything that can be used instead of "grinding down" a metal bolt?
    My grinding skills are embarrassing.

I rather leave it in place rather than to take any chance of damaging the cylinder or the bushing.

Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    It's like any other moving part,it needs cleaned & lubricated once in awhile.
    Not sure why, the pin needs cleaned and lubricated. The bushing doesn't rotate. Just my opinion but I think all the "fixes" to remove the bushing have a far greater chance of damaging the bushing by peening or worse yet hammer the ratchet teeth on the back of the cylinder. To each his own though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter214 View Post
    Is there anything that can be used instead of "grinding down" a metal bolt?
    My grinding skills are embarrassing.
    You can cut the end of the bolt off with a hacksaw and then clean it up a bit with a piece of fine sandpaper. On the other hand, if you're not skilled enough to grind/file the end of a bolt, you probably shouldn't try this!
    Hondo44 and RDS like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    Not sure why the pin needs to be cleaned and lubricated. The bushing doesn't rotate.
    Someone on the SASS forum posted this question:

"What's the SASS/CAS community position on the cylinder bushings? I read some people online (non CAS forums) saying don't bother with them, they don't do anything at all. But it seems like on the CAS forums I hear folks saying clean and lube them. What's the deal - should a CAS SAA with a cylinder bushing get the bushing cleaned or not?"

The general conscious of respondents said that the cylinder pin bushing should be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. One member probably said it best: "The reason to keep them from rusting together is the bushing is a wear part. If it gets worn and the hole gets sloppy, or endshake sets in, it is much easier and cheaper to replace the bushing than the entire cylinder."

http://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?...nt-clean-them/

Rusty Edwards
    Last edited by Ruster; 07-09-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    Gator89, shooter214 and RDS like this.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruster View Post
    Someone on the SASS forum posted this question:

"What's the SASS/CAS community position on the cylinder bushings? I read some people online (non CAS forums) saying don't bother with them, they don't do anything at all. But it seems like on the CAS forums I hear folks saying clean and lube them. What's the deal - should a CAS SAA with a cylinder bushing get the bushing cleaned or not?"

The general conscious of respondents said that the cylinder pin bushing should be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. One member probably said it best: "The reason to keep them from rusting together is the bushing is a wear part. If it gets worn and the hole gets sloppy, or endshake sets in, it is much easier and cheaper to replace the bushing than the entire cylinder."

http://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?...nt-clean-them/

Rusty Edwards
    The SASS community is segmented into many groups. The Rugers don't come with removable bushing. Some of the Colt clones don't have them. Of the Colts and clones that have bushings, some shooters just ignore them and frankly, many know very little about their guns or how to maintain them. (Some shoot them until they quit working and send them to a gunsmith to clean.) Then there are others that know their guns well and see the need to maintain them. For black powder shooters, it's a given you're going to know how to disassemble the gun for cleaning.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1841 times
    I use this brass punch from Homestead. It works perfectly. The 1/4" fits inside the bushing and the "step" above it is the same diameter as the bushing. I spray the bushing with Kroil and let it soak for an hour and then lightly tap it out with this brass punch.
    _ Punch - Drift Punch Brass 1/4 inch (T604) Gun Parts antique firearms, Winchester, Marlin, Remington Jimenez, Bryco Jennings, Buttplates, Barrels, Sights, Screws
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shooter214, arjay and RDS like this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    i use this brass punch from homestead. It works perfectly. The 1/4" fits inside the bushing and the "step" above it is the same diameter as the bushing. I spray the bushing with kroil and let it soak for an hour and then lightly tap it out with this brass punch.
    _ punch - drift punch brass 1/4 inch (t604) gun parts antique firearms, winchester, marlin, remington jimenez, bryco jennings, buttplates, barrels, sights, screws
    Thank You!...

Member #
    Liked
    2379 times
    Did you soak with penetrating oil first and why not use a wooden dowel instead of a bolt?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21606 times
    Rusty, I have used the technique you described for many years. It has always worked for me. Thanks for describing it so other SAA owners will know how to
    remove those bushings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links