What would you value these two gunshow SAA's at....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What would you value these two gunshow SAA's at....

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

What would you value these two gunshow SAA's at....

Understand, I stopped looking for 'my first & only Colt SAA' because nothing had been found in my range and I was told by a dealer friend, I would never find anything at $2000. Before this gunshow I figured I would never find a Colt in the price range I set. These two where there and surprised the h$ll out of me. Also, sorry no pictures because of circumstances and this post is just a last minute desire to find out if I did right for my first encounter, in my price range. I am curious as to your expert opinions about these two Colt's that I passed on.

First revolver was a 1900 first gen (obviously) re-Nickeled 45Colt - heavily buffed gun. Most of the dates where gone; no Colt emblem; the caliber marking was mostly gone and did not see the serial # on cylinder. The barrel was cut to 5" and the sight looked original - taper. Hammer was correct but heavily polish and gone. Did not even look at the barrel address. The serial #'s were matching on frame trigger and grip frames but there looked very clear compared to the rest being polished out. The only value on the gun to me were the real but not original stag grips. Dealer also told me that the gun could handle smokeless but it did not have the VP and I do know better. That really turned me off along with other comment. Asking was $1650. I really would like to own a 1st gen but....

Second revolver was a 1958 second gen 7 1/2" 45 cal. Really like the gun a first and second looks but.. The gun did have barrel and other wear not bad in my opinion, so not a mint gun. Then I asked to look at the back of the cylinder for the horse and front for the serial #, dealer did not know what I meant. Nothing in either position. Once again at that point I did not look at the barrel address thinking that the gun was 'altered' to much. This one was very tempting because it was in very good shape had the Horsey, two piece wood grips (don't know if that is correct) and was within my price range.
    The asking was $1850.

Both guns had ties on them for safety and could not be thoroughly inspected. Do even know if they had bushings in frame or the firing pin shapes.

The SAA I want is just a shooter but a real Colt, not a collectors item.

Did I do right in passing on these. If #2 was a little lower in price I probably would have gone for it as-is and would have just been happy with what it was or later looked for a second gen cylinder.

Just looking for some guidance. Thanks for any comments positive or negative.

I know some of you would have just jumped on them but I have my limits and could just buy 2 other firearms rather than one SAA. Even though my real desire is to own one.
    Last edited by Dude45; 07-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    For a shooter, I would have strongly considered the 1900 1st gen....Becasue it sounds exactly like MY 1901 1st gen...An obvious vintage nickel refnish, heavily buffed with no marking for smokeless, Can barely make out the caliber, no serial on the cylinder, etc...except mine has the horse and dates (although a bit faded on the bottoms)...But mine is 38 wcf...I would have jumped at a 45C if i had the chance. How'd the action feel? 4 good clicks?...Need to see some pics, but I may have bought this one. And then i'd send it to one of our trusted smiths for a good once-over and timing inspection. And based on the smiths recommendation and the serial # being what it is, I would shoot Smokeless cowboy loads only.

1st gen's aint gettin' any younger. Or easier to find. And the prices never seem to drop. $1650 isn't so bad. I'd have low balled him at $1400 just for the fun of it though.
    Last edited by CHIZ; 07-08-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    I would have went with the 2nd generation, typically nice shooters. Every 1st gen I've owned or looked at (especially since you couldn't look) have deeply pitted barrels due to either black powder or smokeless with corrosive primers.

Actually if you want a shooter buy the Standard IMHO

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3026 times
    Sounds like you did yourself a favor by passing on these two. Keep hunting the lGS in your area, and keep an eye on the want to sell section here, eventually something worth owning will pop up for you.

Best regards,
    mrcvs and TheTache like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1694 times
    A heavily buffed and refinished Colt SAA revolver with cut barrel for $1650? Hardly a bargain, not even close!

Member #
    Liked
    477 times
    I would value both of those at closer to a grand and even then they will not be getting any of my money. Keep in mind first gen buffed and altered guns often have pitted bores and cylinders and possible action needs. If you can't check the action and lockup don't buy it. After shipping and a few parts a trip to a trip to a smith (Cough...Jim Martin...Cough) will be $300 pretty easily.

I've sold three nice 2nd gens here on the forum in the last few months for 1500-1850. Keep looking. Post in the WTB section.
    RDS, Rick and bighipiron like this.

Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    I think the price on both of them was too high. You did right to pass.
    lounick and TheTache like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9827 times
    Do your own research - your 'dealer friend' doesn't know the field by a long shot.

Buy 'quality' - refinished, buffed-out stuff is difficult to explain when you part with it - and you 'will' part with it.

Be patient - learn more about the SAA before you pull out your wallet - you'll be money ahead.

Member #
    Liked
    1390 times
    In my opinion, you did the right thing walking away for all of the above reasons.
    Zip ties are cheap. If a dealer wants me to hand him $$$$ yet refuses to remove the zip tie, I politely hand him the gun, thank him and walk away.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    For the $2K I would just go on-line and buy a new 3rd gen. knowing up-front that you're going to shoot the hell out of it. At least you'll know it's not messed with or altered. If I can't get "all original" I get brand new.
    lounick, TheTache and bighipiron like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links