Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree315Likes

Thread: My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    3 days ago i pulled it out of the Kroil and scrubbed it clean. The backstrap screws are spinning a little easier now, but still get hung up and won't come out. I stopped because the excess force will gum up the screw heads. So, I took the advice of Hondo and switched from Kroil to a 50/50 Acetone + ATF mixture. Its been quietly soaking for 48hrs now...seeping into the threads...getting prepared to reveal her secrets! ...I hope.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22141 times
    And the epic relic preservation project continues!! Stay tuned to same Bat Posting (reference to Batman serials: same Bat time; same Bat channel).
    CHIZ, MarkInTx, ei8ht and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    CHIZ:

and the results are.........................

TR

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    Funny Chiz, after I posted this, my old friend offered up the Colorado relics. I have a new respect for relics now and see that there is no hard and fast rule of thumb depending on where it was lost, sunken or buried. Whatever I said, put it in a can and shoot it from the hip!

JP

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Rico View Post
    CHIZ:

and the results are.........................

TR
    Over the past couple weeks I've been sure to agitate the mixture, flip the gun over, add extra Acetone when needed due to evaporation, etc....Well...
    I pulled it out of the Acetone/ATF mix yesterday morning. ... I put the gun between some wood blocks and put it in a vice - I put my body weight into it and gave it my all with the screw driver... And....NOTHING...Absolutely NO progress in unseizing any of the screws. A couple of the screw heads weren't happy with the force I exerted...The backstrap screws still turn slightly but get hung up in exactly the same spots as before. Maybe they're bent from when this thing was stepped on?...The trigger screw, bolt screw, and hammer screw may as well be welded in place...The trigger guard screw up by the serial #'s is so beat up that I can't get a screw driver to even bite...Same goes for the base pin screw...Even the ejector rod screw up by the tip of the barrel is unforgiving...The free moving loading gate and trigger seem to be teasing me.

So moving on....I gathered my clamps and started to fashion a wood mount so that I can do the drill press method mentioned earlier in the thread. Not sure exactly how to do this as I've never attempted it before. But I have an idea...I have the gun back in the oil mix...But right now I feel like the 50/50 mix is no better than the Kano Kroil. Stay tuned for the results of my drill press screw removal attempt.
    bearcat6 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1863 times
    If you have any chance of removing the screws, which I doubt, you are going to need a small torch. Heating the surrounding area will not only draw the penetrate into the threads but, will expand the area and maybe allow the screw to turn. You don't need to to heat until cherry red! Repeat as necessary.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post
    Over the past couple weeks I've been sure to agitate the mixture, flip the gun over, add extra Acetone when needed due to evaporation, etc....Well...
    I pulled it out of the Acetone/ATF mix yesterday morning. ... I put the gun between some wood blocks and put it in a vice - I put my body weight into it and gave it my all with the screw driver... And....NOTHING...Absolutely NO progress in unseizing any of the screws. A couple of the screw heads weren't happy with the force I exerted...The backstrap screws still turn slightly but get hung up in exactly the same spots as before. Maybe they're bent from when this thing was stepped on?...The trigger screw, bolt screw, and hammer screw may as well be welded in place...The trigger guard screw up by the serial #'s is so beat up that I can't get a screw driver to even bite...Same goes for the base pin screw...Even the ejector rod screw up by the tip of the barrel is unforgiving...The free moving loading gate and trigger seem to be teasing me.

So moving on....I gathered my clamps and started to fashion a wood mount so that I can do the drill press method mentioned earlier in the thread. Not sure exactly how to do this as I've never attempted it before. But I have an idea...I have the gun back in the oil mix...But right now I feel like the 50/50 mix is no better than the Kano Kroil. Stay tuned for the results of my drill press screw removal attempt.
    Patience my friend, I soaked the Sharps rifle for two months!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Gentleman....we've made progress! Using the drill press allowed me to be able to remove a few more screws. However, there were casualties. The front trigger guard screw head was destroyed during my attempt with the press. Also, one of the backstrap screws snapped in half during the extract. Not sure how. Probably was already bent from when it was stepped on. I'll need an easy-out or a left handed drill bit to get these out of the frame.
    IMG_4317.jpg
    The screw for the bolt spring came out with NO problems. And i was able to dig the spring out easily enough. Lots of black rust crap was in there. I brushed it out best i could. Hopefully with that cleared out i can get the oil to penetrate the hammer, trigger, and bolt screw threads.

IMG_4318.jpgIMG_4319.jpg

And then i decided it was time to turn to science. I put on my forensics coat and concocted a little cocktail in an attempt the raise the serial #'s. Basically, I used a 3 part mix. Hydrochloric acid, Copper Chloride, and Distilled water. I cleaned the metal as best I could, walled off the areas with hot glue to form a dam, and used an eye dropper to apply the mix. I applied several drops.

IMG_4322.jpgIMG_4323.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    261 times

Cool

My best success came with the serial # on the trigger guard. I believe it gave me the mysterious final 3 numbers that the frame could not.

IMG_4324.jpgIMG_4325.jpgIMG_4326.jpg

I'm thinking my serial is 135800 ....What say you?
    SHOOTER13, Cozmo and DeaconKC like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22141 times
    Chiz, Great progress. The SN does appear to be 135800.
    CHIZ, SHOOTER13 and DeaconKC like this.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links