My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    Would distilled water work better than tap or well water?
    hearsedriver likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times
    Looks like everyone recommends Arm and Hammer LAUNDRY soda . Is that what you are using ?
    jringo8769 likes this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Member #
    Liked
    6043 times
    There are several PH materials. I use swimming pool PH balance powder. There is an optimal amount of conductivity you want, but it's technical. The "if it's fizzing it's working" method works for most of these projects. If restoring a rare item for King Tut's tomb, better get smart on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Would distilled water work better than tap or well water?
    Good question! Does distilled water conduct electricity better or worse than regular water? Regular tap seems to be working fine, but if distilled is better i may have to dump and reload!

Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Looks like everyone recommends Arm and Hammer LAUNDRY soda . Is that what you are using ?
    That is exactly what I'm using! I'm following the "3/4 cup per 5 gallons of water" theory. Seems to be working. The rust is bubbling away pretty good. And actually, since brushing away the crud a couple hours ago, I'm seeing a layer of nasty mucky/rusty foam forming on the surface of the water now. Wasn't seeing this on the 1st go around! Fascinating.
    Last edited by CHIZ; 07-10-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    hearsedriver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    I dont know if there is a correllation but I know tap/well water will practically kill a motorcycle battery.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Member #
    Liked
    6043 times
    Distilled water is the opposite of what you want, it's not conductive. Adding a base MAKES water conductive. Even if you started with distilled, as soon as you put the powder in it's no longer pure water.

Yes, tap water has minerals in it, "hard" or "soft" water. A car battery needs pure H20 and no conductivity.

CHINZ, you probably did two things to make it work faster: put them closer together like I told you, and made better contact with the metal.

(former Electronics Engineer here)
    Last edited by azshot; 07-10-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21379 times
    CHINZ, Your projects reminds me of a project 1911 that I saw being worked on at a gunsmith's shop. The frame and slide were heavily pitted and the person was filling the pits with solder and sanding it smooth. He said he planned to nickel plate it so the 'filled metal' would not be noticeable. That reminded me of
    car repairs where dents/distortions are filled with Bondo. After sanding and painting the part looks pretty good.
    However, I would not want a gun with pits filled with solder or a car with lots of Bondo-filled dents.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    CHINZ, Your projects reminds me of a project 1911 that I saw being worked on at a gunsmith's shop. The frame and slide were heavily pitted and the person was filling the pits with solder and sanding it smooth. He said he planned to nickel plate it so the 'filled metal' would not be noticeable. That reminded me of
    car repairs where dents/distortions are filled with Bondo. After sanding and painting the part looks pretty good.
    However, I would not want a gun with pits filled with solder or a car with lots of Bondo-filled dents.
    I was partly inspired by this guy on Youtube named "Proto-Ordnance" who brought a rusty 1911 back from the dead. Its a pretty cool series of vids documenting the journey. He spent days in electrolysis...and oils....I don't know where this particular journey will take me, but it won't involve solder! I just want to try and get it apart..clean and get the parts moving again..we'll see! It'll prolly end up being a pitted hulk in a shadow box...but you'll hopefully be able to cock it and de-cock it. .....Kroil should be here in a few days. In the mean-time, I'm going to plow forward with the Electrolysis rust removal (Give the Kroil more fighting room once it gets here!)

IMG_4194.jpg
    Progress!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21379 times
    CHIZ, No matter how your project turns out, we will want to to continue to follow it. Thanks for including us!!
    I even enjoyed watching the gunsmith doing his solder work on the pitted 1911.
    CHIZ, jringo8769 and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post
    Good question! Does distilled water conduct electricity better or worse than regular water? Regular tap seems to be working fine, but if distilled is better i may have to dump and reload!

That is exactly what I'm using! I'm following the "3/4 cup per 5 gallons of water" theory. Seems to be working. The rust is bubbling away pretty good. And actually, since brushing away the crud a couple hours ago, I'm seeing a layer of nasty mucky/rusty foam forming on the surface of the water now. Wasn't seeing this on the 1st go around! Fascinating.
    In general, Distilled Water (De-ionized Water) will offer more resistance to current flow than tap water.
    CHIZ and PICARDIE like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links