Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    48hrs of continual electrolysis down. A lot more crud came off!
    IMG_4197.jpgIMG_4196.jpgIMG_4195.jpg

I caught a good glare of light as i pulled it from the bucket. I really think the first 4 #'s of the serial are 1353xx....

IMG_4199.jpgIMG_4198.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    A couple more..
    IMG_4201.jpgIMG_4200.jpg

I emptied the bucket. Lots of rusty water and crud came out. Excellent! And i reloaded it. Added another clean electrode. And we're back at it! ...Stay tuned..

Member #
    Liked
    1888 times
    Wow! There is definitely a difference! I am impressed!

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1888 times
    They say the mixture of acetone and transmission fluid is better than Kroil. Ive never used it but, it would be a cheap way to be able to submerge the whole gun for about a week.
    jringo8769, CHIZ and MarkInTx like this.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22757 times
    Nice work so far!
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    239 times
    From the looks of things it was definitely not engraved!!!

FUN detective project.
    CHIZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Very cool ! Mine's 153212, came out of an old mine shaft entrance North of Silver City NM. So far all the screws except the hammer, bolt and trigger screws have cooperated. Stick with it and keep us in the loop.

Seems strange to me how many 4 & 3/4" .45 Colt's revolvers people lost or discarded back then but I think people got on worse drunks back then too.
    jringo8769, CHIZ and Hootch56 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by highway08 View Post
    Seems strange to me how many 4 & 3/4" .45 Colt's revolvers people lost or discarded back then but I think people got on worse drunks back then too.
    I could be wrong, but, I don't think many people had their guns strapped in their holsters. Shorter barrels may mean the person carrying said piece needed to be quick on the draw. And longer barrels gave the carrier more time to notice that their shooting iron was trying to run away. Just a thought.
    highway08 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    They say the mixture of acetone and transmission fluid is better than Kroil. Ive never used it but, it would be a cheap way to be able to submerge the whole gun for about a week.
    I have used the ATF/acetone mixture on a barn-find '73 Winchester and can attest to how well it works. I used a 5 gallon bucket and the cheapest non-additive ATF I could find at Auto Zone. 2 gallons of ATF and 2 gallons of acetone in the bucket for the rifle, swapping submerged ends every few days. You can most likely get by with much less and submerge the entire gun all at once.
    Prowbar, jringo8769, CHIZ and 1 others like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Alright, its been 4 days straight of Electrolysis. Every 12 hours or so I've pulled the electrodes out and scraped off all the rust and barnacles that have formed. Crazy! More and more just keeps coming off this thing! I'm surprised how shallow the pitting keeps appearing. I always brush the gun vigorously with a toothbrush prior to re-submerging. Lots of tough rust still in the cracks where the top and bottom of the cylinder meet the frame. I gently scrape in there with some thin wire each time I pull the gun. We're getting there. I have added a 4th electrode to the bucket. I'm now hitting it on all-sides connected via steel wire. She continues to fizz away and reveal her secrets!

colt4.jpgcolt7.jpg

Almost ready to eject some shells!
    colt5.jpg

Each day I'm seeing the serial a little more clearly. Or maybe not, i could just be going crazy. But I'm thinking its one of three possible combos...135360..135300..or 135380....Look at the second picture...Where the trigger guard serial number should be. It appears the final # is starting to show its face...Looks like a "0" to me.....and if you zoom in to what would be the number to the left of it, you can make out some roundness like the bottom of a 6 or an 8....What do ya'll think?
    colt1.jpgcolt2.jpg

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links