Like Tree136Likes

Thread: My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times

My 1st Gen RELIC Preservaton Project

Over the 4th of July I was able to aquire a very old beat up Black Powder gun. A dug relic. The previous owner said he got it years ago from an antique store in New Mexico and it was in a shadow box that had a lot of real neat old west relics. He didn't give me the details of the other relics but he did say there were some rare silver dollars and a gold indian head coin in there. Anyway, he was more interested in the relics than the old gun. So now its mine!
    colt2.jpgcolt1.JPG

We believe it was dug in the southwest. Coming from an antique store in NM, that would make sense. The rust is very similar to dry dessert type dug relics that I've handled in the past. Obviously, shes seized up tighter than a drum. There are NO rounds in the cylinder. Too much rust and pitting to make out any roll marks on the barrel. I compared the cylinder chambers side by side with my 3rd. gen 45C, and i believe this has a 45C cylinder. You will also notice that the backstrap has a nice bend to it.
    colt 6.jpgcolt3.jpgcolt4.jpg

Serial #...….I can just make a few #s on the frame. Looks to be 1353xx? If this is the case, then the gun is from 1890. It could be 1553xx, which would put it at 1894. I know the first # is NOT a 2. That would make the gun 1902, and that would be impossible due to the base-pin screw retainer. What do you guys think the Serial # looks like? (see below)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    There's nothing I can read that would give me even a guess as to what the number might be. Better photos are necessary for sure. Neat relic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    My goal is to clean this up the best I can. As of 1:30pm today, after carefully brushing away as much surface rust as possible with a tooth brush, I started an Electrolysis bath. My goal is to reveal that serial #...and maybe some barrel markings. I ordered a gallon of Kroil and it should be here by weeks end. I'd like to get the cylinder out and tear it down as carefully as possible. If possible. I will clean everything as best as I can, put it back together, and build my own display for it. Should be a fun little project! And if I can reveal that Serial #, I'll order a letter for it just for fun.

electro1.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2177 times
    1853xx
    Sparebux likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3937 times
    Keep in mind this is a BP frame so the SN would be under 164,100.
    CHIZ, Hootch56 and po18guy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1827 times
    Thats a cool relic! I would have left it like it is. Be careful with the electrolysis. If you leave it a little too long, there wont be much left of the gun. I doubt that you will ever be able to remove any of the screws including the base pin screw. Next time, try soaking it in some Evapo Rust. That will remove the surface layer and neutralize the other rust. Then, spray a coat of satin clear lacquer on it. That will preserve it for many more years for display.
    Last edited by hearsedriver; 07-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.

"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens".
    NRA Life Member
    TGCA Member
    WACA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
    Thats a cool relic! I would have left it like it is. Be careful with the electrolysis. If you leave it a little too long, there wont be much left of the gun. I doubt that you will ever be able to remove any of the screws including the base pin screw.
    Challenge accepted, Hearse! I will keep a close eye on it. And then once the Kroil comes in, I'll be giving it some good soak time.
    Expect the first update photos tomorrow!

Bill, thanks for the serial # info. ...Rules out that second # being an 8, huh? Gotta be 3!
    hearsedriver and DeaconKC like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Any theories on how the backstrap got bent? I like to think the guy was in a gunfight, ran out of ammo, emptied the shells, and then when he reached in his pocket he realized he was out of rounds. So he flipped it around grabbing the barrel and then beat his adversary to death with it. Thus bending it. And then being bent and out of ammo, he ditched it before his adversaries friends showed up.

Or…..it fell out of a Cowboys holster and got trampled by the back foot of his horse. And the guy didn't even know it was gone until he got back to the ranch....But that's not as cool.

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post
    Over the 4th of July I was able to aquire a very old beat up Black Powder gun. A dug relic. The previous owner said he got it years ago from an antique store in New Mexico and it was in a shadow box that had a lot of real neat old west relics. He didn't give me the details of the other relics but he did say there were some rare silver dollars and a gold indian head coin in there. Anyway, he was more interested in the relics than the old gun. So now its mine!
    colt2.jpgcolt1.JPG

We believe it was dug in the southwest. Coming from an antique store in NM, that would make sense. The rust is very similar to dry dessert type dug relics that I've handled in the past. Obviously, shes seized up tighter than a drum. There are NO rounds in the cylinder. Too much rust and pitting to make out any roll marks on the barrel. I compared the cylinder chambers side by side with my 3rd. gen 45C, and i believe this has a 45C cylinder. You will also notice that the backstrap has a nice bend to it.
    colt 6.jpgcolt3.jpgcolt4.jpg

Serial #...….I can just make a few #s on the frame. Looks to be 1353xx? If this is the case, then the gun is from 1890. It could be 1553xx, which would put it at 1894. I know the first # is NOT a 2. That would make the gun 1902, and that would be impossible due to the base-pin screw retainer. What do you guys think the Serial # looks like? (see below)
    The gun was made 1890 to 1896. So far it looks like 16530X? Wet the surface with detergent water and look again! Sometimes being water wet will enhance the readability.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 07-09-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    CHIZ likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links