Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Case color comparisons?

Member #
    Liked
    15424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    all of it
    Nope, not all of it. By USFA's own admission Classic Guns in Crete IL did some as well. But no question Turnbull did the majority of USFA's color case work.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    480 times
    Classic Guns' case-coloring is very nice, I have an example, but different vs TB.

Member #
    Liked
    5816 times
    Personally, I would be delighted to own any of the guns shown. Regarding the brightness of case colors, as we age, our eyes' perception of color and brilliance changes. Cataracts mainly - at least in my case. Due to several reasons, I had accelerated cataracts. Once my left eye was done, I noted that it would perceive red with a very slight pinkish-purplish tint to it. My clouded right eye saw the same object as almost orange. Having the right eye done tomorrow and some re-training of the retinas is in order, as they have not been receiving the correct colors for some time. Can't wait to "see" what case colors look like then!
    Crowndog and SHOOTER13 like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 3 Cancers: PTCL-NOS, AITL, MDS, plus a stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    Avatar: "No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a LOUDENER"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    480 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBill View Post
    Here’s the frame on a current piece I’m doing - It was all-blue.

The CCH is the only final finish I’m not doing myself. Personally I’d like to get to that point, but for now my source is doing a really good job.

The rest of the gun will get a slow rust blue and wear a set of custom walnut grips.

(The photos were taken with the metal “dry” no oils or wax was wiped on)
    Bill,
    Its been 4-months, any updates? Can't wait to see your "slow rust blue" finish coupled with that nice looking CC!!

Member #
    Liked
    15424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoose1
    Classic Guns' case-coloring is very nice, I have an example, but different vs TB.
    No question there. Having many pieces now done by both shops I can't say one is better than the other. Although some will prefer one's colors over the other I suspect. I can tell you there is a huge difference in price and wait times. Classic wins on both counts by a good bit.
    Jim Martin likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    480 times
    That's absolutely correct Cosmo; who has the skill to do really nice "rust bluing", waiting on Leveractionbilly to showcase his talent in this area since he offered 4-months ago?
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1916 times
    Don't pounce on me for inaccuracies but, my memory recalls the time when Colt sold 2nd gens with all blue finish. Seems I remember reading that Colt had lost the formula, or talent, to do case hardening thus turning to all blue finish. I don't know if the cc they offered after this was done in-house or farmed out. Anyway, what you see today is not Colt's original 1st generation formula/procedure/talent.
    Jim Martin likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Speaking about Classic doing fine CCH here is my Uberti "US. Finish" done by them last year. Followed by my current Colt SAA today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Cozmo likes this.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    15424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoose1
    That's absolutely correct Cosmo; who has the skill to do really nice "rust bluing"...
    I suspect by rust blueing on a Colt, you really mean traditional 1st Gen Colt or early Winchester style charcoal or what some call carbona blueing? Same thing. Few small shops as well as many of the bigger "finish only" shops have the ability to produce true charcoal bluing. Name the SAA shop and 99.9%, if not all of them, job the work out.

Rust blueing is a totally different technique and not anything Colt traditionally did. Done right it would cost more and take longer than charcoal blueing.

Turnbull sez...
    Rust bluing for barrels and magazine tubes is a process that only a few master gunsmiths practice. Coating the clean parts with a rust bluing solution, allowing it to rust, and boiling it in clean water converts the rust from ferrous oxide to ferric oxide. This velvet is cleaned off, and the process is repeated until the desired depth of blue-black color is established. This creates a very durable, rust-resistant finish. Although time-consuming, we consider rust bluing a very durable method of bluing that produces a durable finish of “softer” appearance that is worthy of the investment of time and effort.
    I use both Turnbull (long wait and expensive) and Classic guns for true charcoal blueing . The finish from both is very close by comparison. Even the best eye would have a hard time telling the difference unless they were side by side. And even then, blueing is all about the metal prep prior to blueing. Turnbull does their own prep. Everything I have sent to Classic I prep myself with a limited selection of tools. Th finish is a two part process...the guy who polishes and the guy who blues it

I typically get an education (and a serious ding in the pocket book) on how it should be done when I get something prepped and polished back from Turnbull that needs blueing. They do an outstanding job.

I've not had Classic prep and polish anything for me but I have little doubt they are also up to the task if asked.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 11-13-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5928 times
    I've had Classic CC several of my personal guns as well as quite a few customers guns & they do a great job,I prep the parts myself that way I get them back sooner,the price is very reasonable compared to Turnbull or anyone else for that matter & on top of that they're great guys to do business with.
    ersiii, Monsai52 and bighipiron like this.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links