Case color comparisons?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Case color comparisons?

Member #
    Liked
    13657 times

Case color comparisons?

I got in a used gun today that has Turnbull's case colors and charcoal blue. Colors are no question, stunning. Most of what I shoot these days are either nickel or almost no finish guns. Current production Ubertis being the exception. And as well all know nothing to get excited about on a typical Uberti blue and color cased finish.

The Turnbull case colors are so bright they encouraged me to take a few comparison photos late today. Easy to see why some get all excited about bright case colors...they are pretty. What they aren't, is traditional 1st or 2nd Gen Colt colors. I hope the photos can add something to the conversation. Not the best photos but they clearly show just how bright Turnbull is compared to a 1950's second Gen Colt (which I think is beautiful).

Left to right, Uberti, unfired 1957 2nd Gen, current Turnbull

Left to right, Turnbull, 2nd Gen, Uberti

Top to bottom. Uberti, unfired 1957 2nd Gen, current Turnbull

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I'm glad you pointed out the different guns. I could tell they were different but not all that much. Maybe if I seen them in person.

We have a Marlin 1894 Century Limited that I'm told Turnbull did the CC. I've seen his work on guns in the gunshop. Nice.
    SHOOTER13 and DeaconKC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    I tend to agree that current CCH in some companies has suffered from being too boring due to manufacturing processes. Sure it's much better if they can do away with the labor intensive old school methods and just chemical dip for production ease. CCH goes away due to wear and exposure over the years and Colts and everyone else suffer from this as well. The current CCH of custom guns from Uberti or other shops have moved on to using Gun Kote 2400 series clear coats which enhances the colors and provides another barrier of rust protection and wear. Of course it looks great for safe queens, but no matter what is used working SAA's will still show wear. I do have both versions of CCH those with a chemical dip and one with a CCH that is real and coated with a clear coat. Of course the clear coated CCH is far more stunning.

https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg/produ...s/2400-series/
    Last edited by SFC Rick; 07-11-2019 at 05:29 AM.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14290 times
    Back when USFAís and Colt SAAís weíre readily available, Ubertiís unappealing chemically process case colors was the reason I avoided ever buying one unless at a giveaway price. Iíve seen on the forum where Italian guns offer case color option now, and with the current lack of the USA gun availability and prices, I think itís a smart move on their part.

Turnbulls , USFAís, some 3rd gen Colts , offer the brilliant case colors. Itís eye catching, and when I was new to the game, itís what attracted me. Their process yields good colors and the coating makes it brilliant. The coatings can be delicate or damaged by other products, as Iíve read on here over the years.

The 2nd gen Colts- many of us agree thatís the favorite. Iíve levitated towards the 1970ís peacemaker 22ís , and although not considered a Colt ďgenerationĒ model, their cased frames most closely favor what I like on quite a few examples.
    Over the years, locally Iíve seen plenty of 3rds for sale, plenty of old worn conditioned 1st gens, but the 2nd gen SAA is not seen in my area ... everybody elseís favorite too ??

Addendum: Rick, Iím not familiar with the gunKote product.. I did go check their website to see what thatís about.
    Last edited by what would you say; 07-11-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    lounick and SHOOTER13 like this.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    2979 times
    WWYS, I agree that the case colours on the 2nd gens, and the early 3rd gens are my favorites. I've never really cared for the the high gloss, ultra polished finish on the later 3rds, or the clear coated CCH. I've mentioned it before, but to me, the SAA is a working gun and the ultra high polish blue and garishly bright case colours just doesn't look right on them.

Here's a "C" series 2nd gen Navy that I picked up earlier this year that has the type of case colours that I really like.

And here's a 2007 vintage SAA that I removed the clear coat from, that I think looks better without the extra glitz of the clear coat.

Best regards,
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    13657 times
    Likely the best light I had in this photo.

I suspect most of us who collect these things look at thing a little differently. I was surprised at just how attracted I was to the new gun and the bright colors. Which is why I took the photo. And I know it isn't early Colt colors. I can now see why some complain about just how bright Turnbull's colors are. I had just glossed over that prior know how "we" are. I like the Turnbull colors mind you (a lot!) but I don't want them on my 1900 Colt.

Not the only attraction to a USFA gun or a Standard but color is some of that attraction...certainly is for me at first blush.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 07-11-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    13657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbyman
    I'm glad you pointed out the different guns. I could tell they were different but not all that much. Maybe if I seen them in person.
    I agree. In person the Turnbull gun really stands out for bright colors. The 2nd Gen is beautiful but subtle...and not all that different from the Uberti, which surprised me. Add some blues and purples to the Uberti and it would be very difficult to tell the Uberti and 2nd Gen apart.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    649 times
    Dane, how did you find out the gun was Turnbull colored?

Member #
    Liked
    13657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel6180
    how did you find out the gun was Turnbull colored?
    I called and asked to check the serial number.

> Thanks for contacting us. Yes, I can confirm that we color case hardened
    > the frame, gate, and hammer on your revolver. Charcoal blue cylinder, frame
    > and barrel

> Sara Turnbull
    > Strategic Programs Director
    > Turnbull Restoration Co., Inc.

Last edited by Cozmo; 07-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    True color case hardening is a very complex process, and should be done only by one who regularly performs this task. The heat transfer required leaves colors according to final temperature during quenching. What you call "fire blue" is 600F. Gray-green occurs at slightly higher temps, while purples, browns, and yellow at lower temps. The chart below will give some idea as to temp vs. color. I wouldn't be surprised if altitude has some effect on the resulting colors (Atmos pressure at 10,000 feet is only 10 Psi. At sea level it is 14.7 Psi).

Temp(F) Oxide Color
    630 Grey Green
    610 Grey Blue
    590 Light Blue
    570 Wedgewood Blue
    550 Dark Blue
    530 Violet
    520 Purple
    500 Red Brown
    480 Yellow Brown
    460 Dark Yellow
    450 Yellow