Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Chaffee and dallascowboy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    When I see old pictures at the flea market or antique shops I look for ones of people with guns that are very desirable, and see if i might remotely find someone famous. No luck except this post card I've posted before. Probably sheepmen from the late teens or 20s. I forgot what the consensus was here when I tried to date it. It's a posed but looks like an impromptu taken picture. Looks like Colt New Service and for sure a SAA with wood grips. Hey! Maybe that's Charles M. Russell on the left!!

If that's a photo from the early 20s. You got yourself a true bona fide bootlegger in front of the camera.
    italiansport likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Is that a pet (or deceased) snake around that man’s neck?
    Last edited by Bill38; 08-22-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    Chaffee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11441 times
    This one was made about 1866 of a friend's ancestor's store. Looks like it was the community gathering place. The family maintained a store in the small community up until the 1970's. Staples was the family name, but quite appropriate for a store.

Ruster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    When I see old pictures at the flea market or antique shops I look for ones of people with guns that are very desirable, and see if i might remotely find someone famous. No luck except this post card I've posted before. Probably sheepmen from the late teens or 20s. I forgot what the consensus was here when I tried to date it. It's a posed but looks like an impromptu taken picture. Looks like Colt New Service and for sure a SAA with wood grips. Hey! Maybe that's Charles M. Russell on the left!!

Many years ago while rummaging through the ruins of my grand-dad's black smith shop I came across a bottle the same as these gents are in possession of. According to mom, it contained "horse medicine" originally, but with most things back then, it was probably recycled and used for other purposes. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn the bottle I found contained some of grand-dad's hard cider after the horse medicine was gone. I have the bottle on a shelf in the dining room now, and grand-dad's New Service in the safe, but he certainly ain't the man in the above photograph, (though they may have gotten along well in their day).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links