What should I use to remove gun shot residue on 2nd gen Nickel SAA?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What should I use to remove gun shot residue on 2nd gen Nickel SAA?

Member #
    Liked
    77 times

What should I use to remove gun shot residue on 2nd gen Nickel SAA?

I have read that Hoppes can damage a nickel finish so what should I use to remove the black gun shot residue on the top strap and around the forcing cone on a factory nickel finish 2nd gen SAA? The rest of the gun looks pretty good but the cylinder face and inside of the frame look a little cruddy since it has been fired in the past and put away dirty..
    Thanks for the help.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1358 times
    Try some clp.If you really want to get it spotless use mother’s mag wheel polish or flitz,but keep in mind they are removing a tiny bit of the plating every time you use them.
    lounick and Capps like this.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Thanks arjay. I may have some Mother polish in the garage. I don't want to damage the copper under the nickel. Once I get it clean I will put some kind of wax on it to help protect it and maybe that will make cleaning it in the future gun even easier. Not that I plan on shooting it often.
    lounick and arjay like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14620 times
    I also use Flitz for putting the ultra clean shine on the nickel. Maybe put a final coat of Renn Wax.. Renn Wax is to help with ease of clean up next time so the residue around cylinder hopefully removes easier so you don’t have to Flitz it every time.
    🔫 WWYS

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    because it removes plating every time you clean it with Flitz, I leave the cylinder face alone, i clean it with my fav gun cleaner at the time (usually Hoppes, currently Bore Tech Eliminator) and leave it alone, just get most of it off. I will leave my daughter a tube of Flitz in my will so she can clean it prior to selling it after I don't care about the gun anymore.
    saintclair and superdave269 like this.
    YES ! I own a COLT ! A beautiful SAA in 45 Colt. It lives next to my Italian clones but I finally own one of the real thing.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    mikeyr I will do the same. I enjoyed your comment about your daughter as my daughter loves to go shooting with me. In fact when I am not looking she tries to put post it notes on my guns claiming them for herself and as a little hint to me not to leave her favorites to her brother..
    Fordtough25 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3901 times
    If you are going to shoot the gun again, why erode the finish to remove the carbon rings every time you shoot it? They will just reappear every time you shoot it. Remove the carbon rings only if you intend to shoot the gun again.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I use Birchwood Casey lead removal cloths on all my nickel plated guns, including the Uberti Cattleman SAA clone. It does a fine job of cleaning off powder residue and leading.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    I was hoping that Yahoody would make a suggestion on this. I remember that he commented about cleaning nickel guns not too long ago but I can’t find the thread.
    I remember that WD40 was mentioned because I too am a WD 40 fan. However I don’t have any nickel guns, so I will keep my mouth shut.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14061 times
    I'll answer for that old rascal Yahoody Typically I use to just a wipe down with WD-40 and a paper towel in the "old days". Powder stains (front of the frame and cylinder ends) gets the B-C cloth rub. But I don't do either very often no matter how much I am shooting. Just not a big fan of cleaning handguns religiously. Takes off the finish eventually. More guns lost their finish from cleaning than ever were from shooting them. I am how ever a big fan of baby wipes now a days Seriously. I picked up on the idea when we'd have students clean their hands of lead during classes with boxes of baby wipes. Next thing you know I am cleaning my guns with baby wipes while they are still hot from shooting. Worked good on my 1911s. Works even better on my SAA guns...nickel and blue. Although long term use will dull the case colors, remove the lacquer eventually and lighten up the blue...but we're talking years of my own use to get there. It was noticeable after a year on a Turnbull blue and cased gun. But way less mess than paper towels and my old stand by wd-40. And the baby wipes are less likely to scratch a bright nickel Colt or Uberti.

B-C cloth when things get tough. If it takes more than 30 seconds with a baby wipe to clean up...it's tough in my book
    Last edited by Cozmo; 07-23-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    DeaconKC and Monsai52 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links