Colt SAA's carried by Lawmen w/ provenance
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Colt SAA's carried by Lawmen w/ provenance

Member #
    Liked
    1393 times

Colt SAA's carried by Lawmen w/ provenance

I thought this might be a cool thread - This 45 was owned byFrancis Marion Berry, he worked as a detective for the Union Pacific Railroad(since this is an 1886 SAA I figure he chased Butch Cassidy all over), andlater he became a constable for Riverside County, CA. Francis was also a Driveron the “R” Line Street car in Los Angeles, CA. and later became a flagman at7th and Alameda in Los Angeles, CA. Francis died in 1957, and the Colt had beenin the family since his death until I purchased it.
    Between 1896 and 1901, the Wild Bunch is credited withrobbing four trains, one being known as the “Great Train Robbery”. On June 2, 1899, the Wild Bunch flagged downa Union Pacific Limited train near Wilcox, Wyoming and used dynamite to blastthe doors open to the express car. Theymade off with $30,000; however, most of the money was also blasted by thedynamite and were floating in the wind. Their next robbery, in Tipton, Wyoming, was also a Union Pacifictrain. Their last was in Malta Montanawhere they robbed a Great Northern train escaping with $45,000.
    These were not theonly gangs to rob from the trains. TheUnion Pacific encountered such bandits as “Gentlemen” Bill Carlisle, the JonesBrothers, Charlie Manning, and George “Big Nose” Parrott. The Missouri Pacific fell prey to suchtreacherous villains as Sam Bass, Bill Doolin, and Rube Burrow.
    IMG_0356.JPG

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times
    This 1884 era 4-3/4" 45 in factory nickel with walnut grips was owned by George Milas Lasater of Palo Pinto County Texas. I bought it from his great great grandson several years ago. George was born in 1852 to a cattleman's family and by the year 1865 after his father died he was managing the family cattle business. He grew up with several brothers in an area where fights with wild indians still happened from time to time. As a matter of fact Green Lasater, George's brother lost his scalp to the indians in 1871 during a run in with them. George served on the frontier battalion and as deputy sheriff as called upon. He became a very successful cattleman and ran for Palo Pinto County Sheriff in the fall of 1898 and won the election but before he could assume office he was thrown from a horse and suffered a head injury that led to his death 2 days later. Though not a "pretty" gun it is a fine example of the sidearm that the men of Texas carried.

2.jpgLasater Portrait.jpg
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Very nice....both you gents have excellent Colts with history and provenance. I'm still looking!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times
    I forgot about this one I owned a few years ago. 41 single action with 5-1/2” barrel with carved pearl ox head stocks.
    Owned by Archie Bacon who was a deputy sheriff in Victoria, Texas from 1900 to 1912 and later as prison guard at Huntsville, Texas and bank guard in Houston, Texas in his later years. It was carried in a custom made Steliz Houston, Texas holster with his initials monogrammed on it.

EAD4B034-ED8F-4AD1-8320-629B4EC687DF.jpeg 71B17A04-C8EF-4DB0-98E4-ABD216E10166.jpeg
    Always interested in adding nice, original or interesting pre 1940 single actions to my private collection. Contact me via PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    She certainly doesn't look very happy
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelRod1 View Post
    She certainly doesn't look very happy
    That bumper was cutting into her rear end!
    AngelRod1 and sumthin_nu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9979 times
    The old Time-Life series on the Old West features several - look for 'The Lawmen'.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    so jealous so search and search and never find one with actual provenance other then a cool story
    sumthin_nu likes this.
    Always looking to purchase 1st generation colt SAA's lettered to any where in Arizona.

Member #
    Liked
    9979 times
    All it takes is money...

'Old West' collectors have been around a long time, and are different from 'Colt' collectors who specialize - those old lawdog revolvers (they weren't 'all' Colts) went into serious collections a long, long time ago.

Prying them loose can tax a wallet, because a lot of those collections go to auction houses specifically aimed towards Western memorabilia collectors, and those pockets are deep.
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsixguns View Post
    This 1884 era 4-3/4" 45 in factory nickel with walnut grips was owned by George Milas Lasater of Palo Pinto County Texas. I bought it from his great great grandson several years ago. George was born in 1852 to a cattleman's family and by the year 1865 after his father died he was managing the family cattle business. He grew up with several brothers in an area where fights with wild indians still happened from time to time. As a matter of fact Green Lasater, George's brother lost his scalp to the indians in 1871 during a run in with them. George served on the frontier battalion and as deputy sheriff as called upon. He became a very successful cattleman and ran for Palo Pinto County Sheriff in the fall of 1898 and won the election but before he could assume office he was thrown from a horse and suffered a head injury that led to his death 2 days later. Though not a "pretty" gun it is a fine example of the sidearm that the men of Texas carried.

2.jpgLasater Portrait.jpg
    What did the Colt shipping ledger info provide on this Colt? It went to some large retail dealer, or otherwise?
    sumthin_nu likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links