An antique SAA for sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: An antique SAA for sale

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times

An antique SAA for sale

I looked at an SAA for sale today. A hard one to put a price on. Good points- 1878 44-40, smooth attractive patina, works correctly, VG bore, matching numbers, barrel, cylinder, frame and trigger guard. No etched panel but other markings nice, original wood grips very good+. Bad points- Barrel has been neatly shortened to 4 3/4". Back strap matches in color but is a replacement, made 1908. Early hammer with cone pin but not the earliest with the long checkering. An honest gun with no faking, just altered during it's time of use. Price is $1500 firm.
    Rick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Hard to say without seeing and holding it, but sounds fair.

Member #
    Liked
    1332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    I looked at an SAA for sale today. A hard one to put a price on. Good points- 1878 44-40, smooth attractive patina, works correctly, VG bore, matching numbers, barrel, cylinder, frame and trigger guard. No etched panel but other markings nice, original wood grips very good+. Bad points- Barrel has been neatly shortened to 4 3/4". Back strap matches in color but is a replacement, made 1908. Early hammer with cone pin but not the earliest with the long checkering. An honest gun with no faking, just altered during it's time of use. Price is $1500 firm.
    Serial number on frame? Or SN range?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Serial number on frame? Or SN range?
    47xxx, can't remember exactly. 1878.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    That seems like a really good price on a 1st gen? I’m still learning a lot but that’s a serious piece of history!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22141 times
    That sounds like a fair price for what you described.
    Rick and lounick like this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1772 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    That seems like a really good price on a 1st gen? I’m still learning a lot but that’s a serious piece of history!
    It's a fair price as described. You will note in the description that it has been altered from the original with a cut barrel and replacement parts. This hurts the value considerably. Otherwise, a $1500 First Generation SAA revolver would seem unusual today.

I would describe the price, more specifically, as the high end of "fair".

Member #
    Liked
    497 times
    If the backstrap has been replaced then it is not numbers matching.
    chrometank likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chawk View Post
    If the backstrap has been replaced then it is not numbers matching.
    I described which numbers matched and which, the backstrap, did not. I stated the backstrap was a replacement, made 1908.

I decided against the gun. Cut barrel, could have been done in the frontier era, I can live with that. Replaced early hammer, could have been done in the 1880s, again a frontier era repair. But the 1908 backstrap, made 30 years after the gun, I did not like. And that worn 1908 backstrap was not sitting around off a gun in 1908 waiting to be used on another gun. It was probably removed from it's original gun much later and put on this gun in more modern times. That kind of eliminates the modifications all having been done out on the frontier in it's original era of use. To me that makes the historical ambience much less desirable.

Member #
    Liked
    4057 times
    John it’s odd the wood grips would be in good shape and the BS replaced - so we have to consider the grips a replacement.
    We have to consider the most obvious reason the BS was replaced: the bottom of the grip was used as a hammer!
    Somesone perhaps surely liked the piece enough around the 30’s and sought out a replacement to make the gun more pleasing.

At $1,500 I think it’s a piece worth buying for someone wanting an early gun.
    Dave_T likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links