44 Henry Rimfire Colt SAA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 44 Henry Rimfire Colt SAA

Member #
    Liked
    81 times

44 Henry Rimfire Colt SAA

I just saw this auction and thought I would share it. I didn't even know these existed.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822438123
    To bad the barrel has been cut and the grips replaced. I find it interesting that the barrel has a P marked on it.
    I imagine this is a rare gun but is it collectible since it has a modified barrel and perhaps more changes too.
    I actually have a few 44 Henry bullets in my civil war collection....

Member #
    Liked
    1311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
    I just saw this auction and thought I would share it. I didn't even know these existed.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822438123
    To bad the barrel has been cut and the grips replaced. I find it interesting that the barrel has a P marked on it.
    I imagine this is a rare gun but is it collectible since it has a modified barrel and perhaps more changes too.
    I actually have a few 44 Henry bullets in my civil war collection....

Most of these 44 Rimfires got their barrels cut and also were converted to a centerfire cartridge. Over the years I have had 8 of them, with most of those found in Mexico. They were numbered in a separate serial number sequence from the other Colt SAA’s. The serial numbers range from #1 to almost 1900. When many of these didn’t sell, Colt later altered to 22 Rimfire.

I can tell you right now that the hammer is not correct, and the firing pin doesn’t look right either. The frame slot was welded up, and a very crude job of re-cutting the slot was done.

I never saw a serial number 50 on the cylinder, but would bet that it has been replaced. The chamber appears to be 44 RF, but I would have to see it to rule on whether the chamber is like it would have been originally.

The seller doesn’t give a good picture of the barrel address, but it appears to be italic, which this SN would likely have. I am not seeing the expected marking on the bottom of the barrel, but would like to view a see-thru-the-bore picture to judge whether it was 44 RF or not. It may even be a 45 barrel, from what can be seen. The barrel shows pipe wrench marks, and was cut down from 7-1/2".

From what I can see, the frame, trigger guard, and backstrap are probably original to the gun. The entire gun looks “warmed over” with polishing and artificial age. Of course, the grips have been replaced.

That old sales receipt doesn’t add anything of merit, except for providing an idea of when all of the above work was done.

NOW after bothering to read the seller's description, I see that the barrel is probably from a 45 Colt U.S. Government gun! The "P" is still there, but the "A" may be worn (or filed) off.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 07-29-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Thank you vixtorio1sw You gave me the info i was looking for. I won't even consider this now that you weighed in... Thanks
    victorio1sw and lounick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    827 times
    victorio, when I decide to buy a higher end SAA I want you by my side!!!
    victorio1sw, joehaber and lounick like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1088 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    Most of these 44 Rimfires got their barrels cut and also were converted to a centerfire cartridge. Over the years I have had 8 of them, with most of those found in Mexico. They were numbered in a separate serial number sequence from the other Colt SAA’s. The serial numbers range from #1 to almost 1900. When many of these didn’t sell, Colt later altered to 22 Rimfire.

I can tell you right now that the hammer is not correct, and the firing pin doesn’t look right either. The frame slot was welded up, and a very crude job of re-cutting the slot was done.

I never saw a serial number 50 on the cylinder, but would bet that it has been replaced. The chamber appears to be 44 RF, but I would have to see it to rule on whether the chamber is like it would have been originally.

The seller doesn’t give a good picture of the barrel address, but it appears to be italic, which this SN would likely have. I am not seeing the expected marking on the bottom of the barrel, but would like to view a see-thru-the-bore picture to judge whether it was 44 RF or not. It may even be a 45 barrel, from what can be seen. The barrel shows pipe wrench marks, and was cut down from 7-1/2".

From what I can see, the frame, trigger guard, and backstrap are probably original to the gun. The entire gun looks “warmed over” with polishing and artificial age. Of course, the grips have been replaced.

That old sales receipt doesn’t add anything of merit, except for providing an idea of when all of the above work was done.

NOW after bothering to read the seller's description, I see that the barrel is probably from a 45 Colt U.S. Government gun! The "P" is still there, but the "A" may be worn (or filed) off.
    This is why you get an education on the Colt Forum.

Member #
    Liked
    1311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dandak View Post
    victorio, when I decide to buy a higher end SAA I want you by my side!!!
    God help the dealer/seller!!

Member #
    Liked
    1589 times
    Well, someone ended up buying it anyway. What a mess of a gun!!!

The firing pin is definitely wrong. I have a theory that this gun was converted to centerfire, and more recently "faked" back to rimfire. While the frame looks original, I wonder if the serial had been restamped. This gun shipped at about 20000 serial of the standard SAA range, and the "50" does not quite look like the numbers on a standard SAA at 20000 serial range.

I even tracked down who owned it. Dr. Mitchell was a dentist from Tennessee who likely bought it while doing his dental residency in California. It was in his possession until his death. Interesting that he paid $300 for it, which in today's money is about $2,500. It sold tonight for $1,900. Since these guns are supposed to go up, not down, we can safely conclude that Dr. Mitchell was swindled back in the 60s.

Member #
    Liked
    1811 times
    31E17FCC-D9F4-4BF3-99D1-3A00A40674EA.jpegCompare the 5 and 0 on this .44 rim with number 50. JMO but I think 1900.00 leaves room for restoration. Send it to Dave for a new barrel and grips. Cylinder probably bored to 44-40 but so what, who’s going to shoot .44 Henry out of it at 40.00 a round.
    Not a lot of surviving rim fires around. As a finished restoration it may only be worth what you put in it but you’ve got one and most others do not.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-31-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1811 times
    A couple different shaped rimfire hammers. Kopec shows at least 3 different configurations in his book. JMO but finding an original could be tough. I suspect originals were prone to breakage and many hammers sport back yard gunsmith firing pins.6D2655A5-2696-4F41-803A-1CB1BA073B21.jpeg
    Pittstate03 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    899 times
    My hammer and slot. This is a period New York nickel and Ivory gun with an inscribed backstrap.

IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0508.JPG
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links