Third generation
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Third generation

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I agree with both Saintclair and 29aholic. I often wondered why Pythons went so high. I never see the walking dead. And 29Ahold is correct. Younger collectors are not much interested in history. I do not think 3d generations are going to go up in value for the same reason. Young people want Glock and Sigs not some slow firing clunky revolver. I see the same thing at gun shows the crowds are around 9mm fast firing auto not around historic guns.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Seeing that I am picking up my first real SAA, a 3rd gen nickel 357 mag in a couple hours, this thread saddens me.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the screen. I just picked up a 1977 vintage 3rd gen in 44 special and I am damn proud to add it to my pile.

Enjoy your Colt, I enjoy mine!
    Last edited by Gator89; 08-01-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    Seeing that I am picking up my first real SAA, a 3rd gen nickel 357 mag in a couple hours, this thread saddens me.
    Unless you can trace a old First Generation SAA back through your own family or by actual Historical documentation it's no more Historical then a third Generation. It is probably worth more money because of rarity but no one knows what that old pistols life was. I realize that the first generations make some become old west romanticist's but there is a better chance that it sat in a drawer most of it's life then strapped to a cowboy.

Most folks in the old west could not afford them. They used old Damascus barreled double barrels from Europe, bought at the dry goods store. They could use it to hunt with and for protection.

Enjoy your new Third Generation Colt. In fact, enjoy any gun you purchase and be thankful that you live in the U.S.A. where you can still own them. And support your Second Amendment Rights!
    Last edited by scstrain; 08-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times
    "Seeing that I am picking up my first real SAA, a 3rd gen nickel 357 mag in a couple hours, this thread saddens me."

Don't worry Amigo-

When you touch off that thumb buster, the sadness will fly out of your soul the dark clouds will part and you will see yourself back in Dodge city Kansas circa '76 in a saloon with Miss Kitty sitting on yer knee...

In 20 years the finish of that Colt will be cloudy it will be well worn from honest use- after a range trip you will head home have a cheese burger and a beer, grin- and reflect that you are damn glad you bought that Colt...

And not a Glock.

lol
    Last edited by Ugly; 08-01-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I would guess that 95% of all SAA's made before 1900 have been changed from the way they were shipped from the factory. They were altered because they were heavy used in normal day use. Sure rifles and shotguns out sold revolvers because they were much more practical and SSA's were expensive. But I do not think most were drawer queens. The few drawer queens that surface are high priced collector guns. My first gun was a Colt SAA that I got from my grandfather in 1945. He was born in 1860. It had been shot so much that the cylinder locking notches broke through the cylinder wall. It lettered to 1875. It is still on my wall: have not shot it in 60 years. I don't think that most people bought guns after the civil war to keep in a drawer. They bought them to use.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    So, you're saying my early 3rd gen SAA wasn't made by Colt?
    lounick and Hopalong like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1454 times
    Geez,I love the guys here but don’t let a post dampen your spirits. Your nickel 357 will probably meet your expectations and
    be a great looking gun in the process. Heck I’m happy to hear about anyone getting a new nickel Colt. I’ve got one and its
    my favorite handgun. Pete

Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    I would guess that 95% of all SAA's made before 1900 have been changed from the way they were shipped from the factory. They were altered because they were heavy used in normal day use. Sure rifles and shotguns out sold revolvers because they were much more practical and SSA's were expensive. But I do not think most were drawer queens. The few drawer queens that surface are high priced collector guns. My first gun was a Colt SAA that I got from my grandfather in 1945. He was born in 1860. It had been shot so much that the cylinder locking notches broke through the cylinder wall. It lettered to 1875. It is still on my wall: have not shot it in 60 years. I don't think that most people bought guns after the civil war to keep in a drawer. They bought them to use.

Very good point. Well taken. Heck, I have one that dates back to 1878 and has been in my family for at least 3/4 of that time. Like yours, it has seen very hard days of service. I guess my point was that most were used like yours and mine, but not strapped onto a gun slinger.
    Last edited by scstrain; 08-02-2019 at 02:41 AM.
    lounick and highway08 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Thanks all and I’m not taking it too serious, glad to hear that I didn’t screw up! Sure I’d love to have a 1st gen that Wyatt Earp owned but I doubt that will happen! Ha
    lounick, Ugly, BigMuddy and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    SDRider brings up a good point. Does anybody know where SAA are assembled, by whom, and where the parts came from? I would reall like to know. I know that the past recent Colt Auto pistols where made by others and the Colt name applied. We also know the Cowboy was assembled using Uberti parts. The signature series black power were assembled by Brookland Arms with no association with Colt. So is there a factory with Colt Manufacturing Co on the door occupied by skilled workmen making SAA's?
    lounick and highway08 like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links