Third generation
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Third generation

Member #
    Liked
    14534 times
    I hear ya. I learned with a file. It was a decade or so before I ever got to touch a mill

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I don't have a dog in this fight but it brings up something I've always considered about 1st gen SAAs. While I understand the romance and history associated with early 1st gen guns, it's production life occurred over a very long time period during which both the country and the gun underwent significant changes. The point being, not every 1st generation Colt SAA "left the factory in a stagecoach headed to some frontier outpost". As much as one might like to imagine the 1st gen in their possession has having hung on the hip of some cow puncher on a trail drive, without documentation the history of the individual gun is often speculation. Even back in frontier days the gun could have as easily spent its early life on the cobblestones of Boston as the dusty streets of Laredo.
    I'm not saying anything that everybody doesn't already know. Just pointing out that there is an individual gun's documented history and also Colt's institutional history. I think sometimes we conflate the two. They are inseparately intertwined but they are not identical.

Member #
    Liked
    14534 times
    Way more likely a 1st Gen gun traveled by train, not a stage coach.
    bighipiron, Some guy and lounick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1408 times
    I have 10 3rd gen. Colt SAA/NF not including 2 colt cowboys. 3 of the early 3 gens had issues that were correctable ( 2 fixable at home and 1 had to be sent back to Colt for a loose recoil plate). My 2007 45/7 1/2” BCH is what I would call flawless. All manufacturers are allowed to change a design as they see fit for any reason. In the 80 years of production of the Ford V8 sedan, many changes also took place.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Way more likely a 1st Gen gun traveled by train, not a stage coach.
    Trains had very limited routes. In early times, after train travel it was onto a coach or wagon to it's destination.
    lounick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1129 times
    It's like now a days. Trains carry in huge volumes but trucks have to be used to get the product to the end user. And I am a total train nut.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14534 times
    First TransCon rail was 1869. The country had few roads, fewer towns out west and small rail road roads were in may places that they aren't now. From where I sit now a rail line went from here to SE Oregon. Rail line is long gone but the bridge across the Snake from that rail line is still used today for horse and foot traffic. There were plenty of long stage routes here. But the cities were connected by rail be it for beef or for mining.

Classic example. Masterson's guns came to Dodge City and to Colorado not by wagon but by train. Same way he traveled a lot of the time. Rail Road express companies ran from 1812 to the early 1970s with
    couriers transporting small parcels, currency and other valuables.
    bighipiron and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Cosmo is right. Up to the 1960's the only way you could ship a pistol was via Railway Express the Post Office would not ship handguns. I used to order from Ye Old Hunter and all were delivered to me via a Railway Express truck from the town Railway Express office at the train station. I am guessing that in the 1870' to the 1890's individuals had to go to the train station or Railway Express put them on stage couches for out of town customers. From the time a person ordered a SAA it must have taken weeks to get it unless they ordered by Amazon prime shipping.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    I wonder why some forum members say to buy a 3d generation over a 1st generation. I contend that a 3d is just a clone , the same as a Uberti or Pietta. A 3d is assembled of outsourced parts. They have no historic value. The workmanship is of varying quality. They say they are shooters but you can get the same effect by shootings a Ruger Blackhawk. First and second SAA are made by Colt. The 1st have historic value. As a shooter they are a clumsy inaccurate pistol. A modern S&W is more accurate and a lot easier to load and eject. Holding The 1st generation you can wonder who had it in the 1870's and how it was used. 3d generations have no history. Third generations are over priced and of not much value historic or as a shooter.
    In my case, the acquisition of my only SAA (a 1978 gen 3) was because it belonged to my late brother-in-law and I was honored to be able to get it. The quality seems to be very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack65K; 08-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    Gator89 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Aside from shoddy production in the 80's the only difference in a 1st gen and recent production is mystique and aura. The modern one hasn't been there and done that but the older versions just may have very well been used in difficult situations and that is the appeal. I don't figure in getting into a gunfight tomorrow to give mine its laurels but I'll put my 3rd gens circa 2005 up against any SAA anytime in terms of workmanship.
    "Sammy done his damndest, angels could do no more"(from a song by Andy Wilkinson)

SASS # 25171

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links