Mammoth ivory for colt
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Mammoth ivory for colt

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    The cuts look a little or may be thin on the bottom of these compared to the stock rubber so no room for error when shaping?
    Some guy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14576 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kruzan45 View Post
    The cuts look a little or may be thin on the bottom of these compared to the stock rubber so no room for error when shaping?
    One might think so but they aren't. Plenty of ivory there to carve let alone make a smooth ivory grip from. Paul Persinger starts with less ivory (just under 1/2") for most of his carved SAA grips.

lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kruzan45 View Post
    Thanks for resurfacing this. I love talking grips and good materials to make them with. I'm not much of a collector and didn't want to be a bore talking one subject BUT ,. The angle of the photo and the thicker upper portion does make for a poor view . I think they were about 3/4 " at the bottom , maybe slight under on the thinner one. I ran the bandsaw about as careless as I did the camera. A fellow with some patients could probably resaw them and get some left over for inlay or who knows what , me I just sand away and try better next time. I have been saving the saw dust and sand dust thinking some day I'll come up with a mixture to mold something, probably been tried already and I just don't know it.
    Last edited by Some guy; 08-18-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Always one more thing

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links