Mammoth ivory for colt
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Mammoth ivory for colt

Member #
    Liked
    104 times

Mammoth ivory for colt

IMG_0267.jpgWhen was the last time any of you heard for sale or bought for that matter mammoth ivory for grips? And what was the year and price may I ask?
    This set has no bark , cracks , or checks . Generous cut at 11/16ths enough for about any profile, cut proper vertical with no runout . It has light tan mineral streaks when carved that dissipate then turn whitish after time while the rest mellows to a little more cream. Dried for well into 100 years , that part is important , keeps the checks down (growth ring shrinkage?).
    I know this is starting to sound like an ad but they are not for sale.
    Besides showing off a little , I have a need for a value before the project gets started . Can any of give help or give an opinion?

Thanks for your time , Tom
    Last edited by Some guy; 08-08-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    Envious!!!!!!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1820 times
    Those look really nice. Looks more like Elephant ivory than the Mammoth ivory I have seen. Should make a gorgeous set of stocks.
    lounick likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    Wish I could sneak onto the milk run and and talk you out of those pieces! Beautiful !
    Some guy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4052 times
    $550 rough cut, raw material. Add $300 once finished.
    Some guy, lounick, CHIZ and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Member #
    Liked
    14942 times
    How do you know it's Mammoth and not Elephant trying to get around the ban? I'd like to see the angle of the Schregar lines to be sure. It's very difficult to find a piece of Mammoth that hasn't separated and is large enough. If it's Mammoth, the material is worth $250 +/-
    jringo8769 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    It's fairly common for government model grips , with finished prices in the $350 -$500 range ..SAA sized pieces are more expensive of course , but I'm looking for a set myself . Here's a decent sized raw chunk , about a foot long -nice the way it is ,but I wish I had the skill & patience to make my own grips
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    How do you know it's Mammoth and not Elephant trying to get around the ban? I'd like to see the angle of the Schregar lines to be sure. It's very difficult to find a piece of Mammoth that hasn't separated and is large enough. If it's Mammoth, the material is worth $250 +/-
    Good morning , It's mammoth alright. I'll see what I can do for you. Like you said it is very difficult to find, to me that makes it more scarce = more cool factor. Thanks
    Last edited by Some guy; 08-08-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    It's fairly common for government model grips , with finished prices in the $350 -$500 range ..SAA sized pieces are more expensive of course , but I'm looking for a set myself . Here's a decent sized raw chunk , about a foot long -nice the way it is ,but I wish I had the skill & patience to make my own grips
    Very nice piece. What guessed diameter of yours? Having the skill or not wasn't my battle , I got over that by diving in head first . My battle was making up mind to destroy or not a 10,000 year old piece of ivory which is a piece of art in it's own right.
    hwjhfs, lounick and dandak like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1556 times
    Last month, I was offered a piece of Mammoth ivory, big enough to make target stocks for a Python, for $1,000 for the ivory, plus $800 for expert carving. I passed.
    RDS likes this.
    A lawyer, but NOT YOUR LAWYER.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links