Project Gun 1927 44-40
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Project Gun 1927 44-40

Member #
    Liked
    899 times

Project Gun 1927 44-40

I just bought this gun today. It is a 1927 44-40 with some issues.

Rust spot on the barrel
    Action does not work
    Reshaped front sight
    BADLY rusted cylinder

I have to wait the required 7 days to pick up the gun. I will take it apart and see what is not working or broken. I may just reshape the back edge of the sight. The rust on the barrel will leave a spot but it will be OK The minor rust on the rest of the gun will cleanup OK. The cylinder is now home soaking in some ATF and Acetone. The rust is very bad on one cylinder and a little on each edge. The bore and chambers are fine. I will most likely be looking for a replacement cylinder.

IMG_1148_LI (2).jpg IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1161.JPG
    jringo8769, LEO918 and MarkInTx like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    899 times
    A few more pictures.

IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1156.JPG
    jringo8769, lboos, LEO918 and 1 others like this.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    Looks like a great project and great find...thank u for sharing...God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    ei8ht likes this.
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    I'd say the cylinder is a paper weight.

Any back story why it was neglected?

I'd be happy to find a project gun. But even the brand new ones turn out to be a project gun.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times
    That is sure strange looking corrosion on the cylinder. It will be interesting to see what that area looks like after soaking in ATF and acetone.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    The cylinder looks like some type of corrosion liquid got on it.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Well worth rebuilding. Original case still showing. New cylinder and reshape sight you will have a fine gun

Member #
    Liked
    899 times
    It came into the shop with a batch of about 15 to 20 other guns. Many had similar damage. My understanding is that they were stored in a safe for a long period of time. Many of the long guns had damage where they rested against the carpeted rack. I am thinking mice got into the safe and did their business on the guns. It is acidic and can cause rust like this over time especially if moisture and high humidity are added to the equation. I have never seen a batch guns with so much localized advanced rust in one small location. I often buy the rough condition guns cheap and part them out on eBay. I missed out on the last two single action project guns, one the owner would not sell and the other sold for more then double what I paid for this one. Will a 44 special cylinder work OK in this gun? 1st or 2nd generation is good to go?

Member #
    Liked
    5285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikebiker View Post
    It came into the shop with a batch of about 15 to 20 other guns. Many had similar damage. My understanding is that they were stored in a safe for a long period of time. Many of the long guns had damage where they rested against the carpeted rack. I am thinking mice got into the safe and did their business on the guns. It is acidic and can cause rust like this over time especially if moisture and high humidity are added to the equation. I have never seen a batch guns with so much localized advanced rust in one small location. I often buy the rough condition guns cheap and part them out on eBay. I missed out on the last two single action project guns, one the owner would not sell and the other sold for more then double what I paid for this one. Will a 44 special cylinder work OK in this gun? 1st or 2nd generation is good to go?
    See what your Groove-to-Groove measurement is in the Barrel.

Chances are .44 Special would be just fine, far as I can imagine...but it is always nice to know how much or how little the Bullet is going to adapt to what the Barrel has going.

Member #
    Liked
    2249 times
    Restoration won't hurt the value of that one, what's growing on the cylinder besides rust?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links