• 1 Post By saintclair

Thread: Another project consideration

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

Another project consideration

I have a 1902 made .45 with 7 1/2” barrel. Got a good deal on the gun and I believe it has already been redone once. Has some polishing on some very minor pitting on the Frame. The barrel has obviously been off the gun from looking at the connection at the frame. Don’t think that’s holster wear. Also large screw has been replaced on the frame. It’s a different screw from the other two. See pics. Am considering another complete redo on the gun from top to bottom. I think it’s a good candidate. Any thoughts why it shouldn’t be redone again? Seems to be a sharp pistol, very tight lock up etc. Thanks for looking.

Member #
    Liked
    1793 times
    I think it looks too good to "redo top to bottom". I agree the barrel has been replaced. What I would do is find a 4 3/4" barrel for it and leave everything else alone. Or if you like the 7 1/2" have it set back one turn to get the correct fit to the frame for it and the housing. Redo barrel/cylinder gap and enjoy it from there. Just my preference.
    MarkInTx and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21720 times
    That is not a bad looking SAA, 'as is.' I suspect it will lose value to most collectors if it gets 'redone.' That hammer screw is an easy fix.
    MarkInTx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Looks solid to me, I have all but a 7.5" so they are great looking to me. Shoot the snot out of it!

Member #
    Liked
    1390 times
    I think it looks good as it sits.
    Crank the barrel in one turn, fix the cylinder gap and head to the range.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    11997 times
    Nice gun. Is the shiny hammer a 2nd generation? I'd just age or tarnish up the hammer, put it back in the gun and that's it.

Member #
    Liked
    1793 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    Nice gun. Is the shiny hammer a 2nd generation? I'd just age or tarnish up the hammer, put it back in the gun and that's it.
    Good eye on the hammer. Enlarged it looks like the knurling has no border so it is a newer (than the gun) hammer. So yes, make it look old.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Yes, the hammer is incorrect, probably 2nd gen. Definitely later. I have an early hammer for it. Needs a trigger job and the hammer pull is heavy at the moment. That’s a great suggestion on the 4 3/4 barrel. I’ll start looking for one. I appreciate the feedback.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links