Too picky?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Too picky?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Too picky?

I purchased my first SAA about 4 months back. I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt. Go ahead and judge me. Lol

It was a current production 3rd gen. When I got it home, I thought I could live with some of its flaws.

First, it had a canted front sight, with a good lean on it. The top was apparently filed flat to give a square sight picture from the rear.

It had a very rough finish on the top of the trigger guard where it met the frame. Also, the rear of the left side of the trigger guard was overly rounded and left a gap between it and the grip panel.

Neither grip was lined up square with the frame.

The cylinder had a chamber where the number (a "6") was stamped too close to a chamber and bulged it a bit out of round.

There were a few songs at the back of the cylinder, which may or may not have come from the factory. Seller swore the cylinder was unturned (no marks in leads).

I contacted Colt, and they had me send it in. Pat gave me a call and asked me which issues were most pressing for me. I stated that the cylinder issues and the squareness of the grip were number one. I also stated that the overly rounded trigger guard bothered me, as well as the rough finish.

He stated that if they could not correct the issues, he would consider a replacement/ refund. He also told me to expect a follow up call.

Fast forward three months, and I received the gun back. They corrected the issue with the roughness of the trigger guard, but it was the same overly rounded one. The cylinder was re-blued, with the dings still visible (looked acceptable, and you could only see them if you knew they were there). The grip fit was unaddressed. There was still a gap at the front and top.

I told them that I was unsatisfied, and I sent the pistol back for a refund.

Am I being too picky? Are crooked front sights normal? What do I look for / expect when buying a new SAA? Is this just the wrong gun for me?

Thanks!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2409 times
    If you bought new from a dealer you have a right to be picky. Three months is a long time to decide you can't live with the flaws you mentioned, I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That's not to say that I don't own any SAA's with flaws, but I knew of them from the start and didn't really care as long as it shot straight.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Well, I noticed them within the first week of actually owning it. I was looking at pictures online of SAA models to see if what I had appeared common, and it did not. The three months was how long the gun was away at Colt. I contacted them to arrange a refund a day after I received it back.

Ultimately, I think I am in the market for a new one. I would Just like to see detailed pics if buying online with at least some type of “inspection” period.

On the topic of shooting straight, was the canted sight intentional? In an odd way, it looked as if the base was off center and they bent the top back to center.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    to each his own, its your gun and if you want to be picky, its your right to be.

Me ? I am willing to pass up some issues since I shoot the thing a LOT and it will get dinged up no matter how careful I am. But I also don't care about the resale value since my daughter will have to worry about that after I am gone. If you want a perfect gun, you deserve one, end of story. Just not sure that Colt is up the perfect gun task any more.
    lounick likes this.
    YES ! I own a COLT ! A beautiful SAA in 45 Colt. It lives next to my Italian clones but I finally own one of the real thing.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Well thanks, I am feeling less crazy so far. I shoot everything too. No collector's items here. I am careful with my stuff and I just like it to be proper out of the box.

My hard use guns are plastic. Glock, S&W M&P, HK and Walther.
    Last edited by Vicious; 08-09-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    493 times
    “I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt.”
    IMO opinion you’re certainly not being too picky. But in all seriousness, if you’re after the best made “SAA” on the market...you need to reconsider you’re previously stated position.
    socalmarine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VoyPescado View Post
    “I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt.”
    IMO opinion you’re certainly not being too picky. But in all seriousness, if you’re after the best made “SAA” on the market...you need to reconsider you’re previously stated position.
    Hmm, thinking Standard Manufacturing? My only gripe is the that none of the other SAA’s out there (that i’m aware of) are 100% dimensionally correct to the colt.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22681 times
    That SAA should have been sent back to Colt!! I still maintain that recently built SAA's are inferior to those from just a couple years ago.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    That SAA should have been sent back to Colt!! I still maintain that recently built SAA's are inferior to those from just a couple years ago.
    Not sure if my post was too long, but it was. Twice. The second time was for a refund from Colt.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I still maintain that recently built SAA's are inferior to those from just a couple years ago.
    I’ll go with this for the win. My two from 1999 and 2003 are great finish wise and other wise. I do wish I had kept this 7-1/2” CH from 2012. I’m not really planning on anymore SA but if I do they are going to be late 3rd Gen Guns from about serial numbers S25000A and stop about S75000A.

Last edited by sturmgewehr; 08-13-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    RDS likes this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links