Alan Harton rebuild..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Alan Harton rebuild..

  1. #21
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    30654
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    29
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    As I thought, one gets an old worn out SAA redone for the love of it!
    Attachment 651923 Attachment 651925 Attachment 651927Turnbull Restore Original Grips.JPGTurnbull Restore Before.JPG

    You're right I had Turnbull restore this Bisley for me. It was made in 1900 and had no known history. It had no broken parts and all appeared to be original. I wanted it to look and function like it just left the factory. So I took it to a gun show where Turnbull had a display, and spoke with Doug Turnbull (also a great guy) who questioned why I wanted it restored and did it have any history. He agreed that he would restore it and I was given an approximate quote of between $4000 and $4500. I left it with them and after many months(10) I got back a beautifully restored gun. The restoration cost me $4100 and I originally paid $1700 for the gun. That's a lot of money and I'm sure more than it's worth now, but I don't care, I have a beautiful gun that will only grow in value as it is handed down in the family.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aggiebill; 09-07-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: attachments

  2. #22
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6040
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    1,755
    Liked
    2797 times
    Understanding what goes into a restoration is an important aspect of the decision to restore a piece. I'm afraid that many who are doing and doing it well pad up the cost for various business reasons and "requirements". This has been the bane of any kind of restoration work, be it paintings, furniture or firearms. It's like going to the auto mechanic with a minor problem that turns into a larger, more costly one. The best shops spend money on quality marking dies and other equipment. if used correctly, the results are wonderful. The best of the best have owned original pieces and replicate that look in their restoration work. Sole props like me and Al can provide better details to attention than the larger shops with many employees. (more employees, more cost) Any restored piece should be compared to an original by the customer for fit, finish, accuracy of markings and of course function. Where most shops fail in is the details - missing markings, wrong polishing planes, colors off, blue wrong and so fourth. The photos show some very high quality work, but there is something missing. I'll let you guys figure it out.

    Dave
    Revolver, Kerz, lounick and 1 others like this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6040
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    1,755
    Liked
    2797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebill View Post
    Attachment 651923 Attachment 651925 Attachment 651927Turnbull Restore Original Grips.JPGTurnbull Restore Before.JPG

    You're right I had Turnbull restore this Bisley for me. It was made in 1900 and had no known history. It had no broken parts and all appeared to be original. I wanted it to look and function like it just left the factory. So I took it to a gun show where Turnbull had a display, and spoke with Doug Turnbull (also a great guy) who questioned why I wanted it restored and did it have any history. He agreed that he would restore it and I was given an approximate quote of between $4000 and $4500. I left it with them and after many months(10) I got back a beautifully restored gun. The restoration cost me $4100 and I originally paid $1700 for the gun. That's a lot of money and I'm sure more than it's worth now, but I don't care, I have a beautiful gun that will only grow in value as it is handed down in the family.
    This piece had original finish remaining.........

    JP
    lounick and Kerz like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    30654
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    29
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    This piece had original finish remaining.........

    JP
    Where?

  6. #25
    Junior Member

    Member #
    67029
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    47
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebill View Post
    Attachment 651923 Attachment 651925 Attachment 651927Turnbull Restore Original Grips.JPGTurnbull Restore Before.JPG

    You're right I had Turnbull restore this Bisley for me. It was made in 1900 and had no known history. It had no broken parts and all appeared to be original. I wanted it to look and function like it just left the factory. So I took it to a gun show where Turnbull had a display, and spoke with Doug Turnbull (also a great guy) who questioned why I wanted it restored and did it have any history. He agreed that he would restore it and I was given an approximate quote of between $4000 and $4500. I left it with them and after many months(10) I got back a beautifully restored gun. The restoration cost me $4100 and I originally paid $1700 for the gun. That's a lot of money and I'm sure more than it's worth now, but I don't care, I have a beautiful gun that will only grow in value as it is handed down in the family.
    Turnbull is by far the best IMHO. He is also very honest in discussing the cost and whether it’s worth it to YOU to spend the $$$

  7. #26
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6040
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    1,755
    Liked
    2797 times
    Even this photo shows blue on the trigger guard, ejector tube, barrel, some on the sides of the back strap, and traces of case color.
    lounick likes this.

  8. #27
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6040
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    1,755
    Liked
    2797 times
    Humm, that barrel logo is sure high up on the barrel rather than centered. Just sayin'
    lounick likes this.

  9. #28
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    30654
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    29
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    Even this photo shows blue on the trigger guard, ejector tube, barrel, some on the sides of the back strap, and traces of case color.
    This gun is blue where it is supposed to be blue and case colored where it is supposed to be, I don't understand where you're coming from. I accept that you guys do good work, but I believe Turnbull is the best!

  10. #29
    Senior Member

    Member #
    24350
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ten Sleep, WY.
    Posts
    2,845
    Liked
    4110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebill View Post
    This gun is blue where it is supposed to be blue and case colored where it is supposed to be, I don't understand where you're coming from. I accept that you guys do good work, but I believe Turnbull is the best!
    AGGIEBILL there’s a creed among the finest in the business to not alter a gun with remaining finish.
    We all know that piece won’t stay in ones collection a lifetime and for the sake historical significance it should live out its life in the condition it is...original.
    lounick likes this.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


    All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

  11. #30
    Senior Member

    Member #
    1859
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,958
    Liked
    1459 times
    I wonder how future generations of collectors will evaluate all of these redone guns as to originality, and consequently value.


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
We are not associated with Colt's Manufacturing LLC. We are an enthusiast site comprised of Colt Fans.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.