Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Picked up three SAA'a recently

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    712 times

Picked up three SAA'a recently

Seems like it is either feast or famine when I am looking for guns locally. I am always on the look out for SAA's but had not found anything I really wanted recently or was to slow in replying to ads. In the last two weeks I have found three that caught me eye and I was able to buy. Two were Colt third gens and the third a USFA in .44 special.
    I noticed the styrofoam box for the nickel SAA has some brown staining. Will that effect the finish of the gun if I leave it in the box?

Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Nice find!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    How is the action on that early 3rd gen nickel gun? I have the exact same gun but it needed a little smithing to smooth out a notchiness in the hammer. It is smooth as silk now though.

ColtNP.jpg

It came with wood grips exactly like yours but I changed them out for these ebony grips.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    How is the action on that early 3rd gen nickel gun? I have the exact same gun but it needed a little smithing to smooth out a notchiness in the hammer. It is smooth as silk now though.

ColtNP.jpg

It came with wood grips exactly like yours but I changed them out for these ebony grips.
    When I bought it it had that zip tie on it and I have not cut it off yet so I have not worked the action yet. I like those ebony grips on yours. Where did you buy them?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11726 times
    An Awesome Score Sir...

Congrats !!

krag96 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahrman View Post
    When I bought it it had that zip tie on it and I have not cut it off yet so I have not worked the action yet. I like those ebony grips on yours. Where did you buy them?
    There is a lot of work in those grips. They are Hogue grips but they come with no medallion and they are massively oversized so you have to fit them or have someone fit them which requires a lot of material to be removed and hand finishing. I then sent them off to Nutmeg to have the medallions fitted. I probably have more in them than they are worth but they look good on the gun so I'm happy with it. I still have the original grips, they look exactly like the ones fitted to your gun.

I still haven't shot this gun yet and honestly, it looks like it was never shot or shot very little. Maybe in the coming weeks I'll take it to the range and see what it can do.

Mfg date was in 1979.
    Kahrman likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    The blued Colt is 1978 and the nickel one is either 1978 or 1979. Have not looked up the USFA yet.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    Nice score. I'm going to say that the brown on the inside of the boxes most likely would be old oil, but since we cannot be positive of it's exact nature, I would either put sheets of vapor paper between the gun and interior or a baggy.
    Kahrman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2568 times
    I also bought Colt SAA's with the brown staining in the box and there was no rust on the Colt. Don't worry about it but DON'T store your Colt in the box. The Styrofoam can hold moisture.
    Kahrman likes this.

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    478 times
    You do not want to store your Colts (or any gun) in those boxes. I like the silicon impregnated soft cases or (best of all) a climate controlled safe.
    Kahrman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links