Frank Hendricks Engraver for the Texas Rangers?
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By saintclair
  • 1 Post By Wyatt Burp
  • 3 Post By Cozmo
  • 3 Post By Cozmo
  • 5 Post By Wyatt Burp
  • 2 Post By saintclair

Thread: Frank Hendricks Engraver for the Texas Rangers?

Member #
    Liked
    14129 times

Frank Hendricks Engraver for the Texas Rangers?

I'd not heard of Frank Hendricks until late today. Since then I found he engraved the Texas Ranger Tribute guns for Colt,
    many Texas Ranger's actual BBQ and duty guns and they say was one of the top 10 gun engravers in the world for
    50 years with the likes of Alvin White?

"Frank Hendricks, a true world-class Master engraver, FEGA founder & President, teacher, artist
    (1928-2003)"

Tell us what you know and show us his guns!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21720 times
    I love the engraving of Frank Hendricks!! Unfortunately, I do not own any of his work. I believe that Hugh Clark had a collection of his famous Belt Buckles. His sons may have them for sale.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11997 times
    I've never seen his engraving in person but going by pictures he's my favorite modern (post WW2) engraver of all time. I say that because of the 1973 G&A Annual I still have that has a full color layout of his flamboyantly engraved Texas Ranger commemoratives he did back then. They came in three grades and the top two were insane. I posted pictures from that magazine here before but looks like I dumped them.
    Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 08-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    jringo8769 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14129 times
    Thanks guys! I found the belt buckles last night. Pretty amazing work as well. This one is in 22K Gold.

Member #
    Liked
    14129 times
    I was offered a Hendrick gun last night. First comment I found about his engraving skill before I fell down that seriously deep rabbit hole was a comment you had made Wyatt, which I took to heart. Gun has a Texas Ranger history and was shipped directly to Hendrick from Colt in the white.

It is a full meal deal, silver plate, C+ engraving and ivory, 4 3/4", 45. I bought it from a couple of terrible photos. Gun hasn't moved much since delivery to Hendricks in 1978. Hendricks was 50 years old in '78 and at the height of his skills. Neat that he only used a hammer and chisel on his work. No modern engraving machines for him. I'll get some photos when the gun shows up.

Member #
    Liked
    1095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I'd not heard of Frank Hendricks until late today. Since then I found he engraved the Texas Ranger Tribute guns for Colt,
    many Texas Ranger's actual BBQ and duty guns and they say was one of the top 10 gun engravers in the world for
    50 years with the likes of Alvin White?

"Frank Hendricks, a true world-class Master engraver, FEGA founder & President, teacher, artist
    (1928-2003)"

Tell us what you know and show us his guns!
    I don't know who he worked for, besides himself. My only transaction with Hendricks was sending him some pre-polished Colt SAA parts to be nickeled in 1985. At the time, it seems that he lived just north of San Antonio. He did a great job and returned my parts as requested, left with satin finish as pulled from plating bath (not buffed). Hendricks turned this job around in about 1 week. Wish I still had access to someone like him for plating, because none of these plating shops can be trusted.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 08-15-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11997 times
    Here's one of the pictures from my dad's G&A I mentioned that got me hooked on Colts when I was sixteen. This engraving just knocks me out. We have an engraver on here occasionally who I said his engraving reminded me of Frank Hendricks. He then said either he or his dad worked as an engraver for or with Hendricks. I was giving him the biggest compliment imaginable.

Member #
    Liked
    14129 times
    Nice Wyatt! Weldon Lister is the engraver you complimented.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21720 times
    Hendricks' engraving is so bold with deep cuts that even a person without sight can appreciate his skills!
    Cozmo and sixguns like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14129 times
    Thanks guys! Any one else have a photo of his work on a SAA?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links