Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Colt SAA black powder Sheriffs model

Cal

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Colt SAA black powder Sheriffs model

Hi, I have not been on here for a while, but looking for help, before I spend the money for a Colt letter. I have a SAA Sheriffs model, on a black powder frame. I know these are scarce but were made, I think on special order. I will try to post photos. Please understand that I have been collecting and shooting these things for more years than I care to admit, and I can usually spot a fake. But I do not claim to be an expert. Everything looks very good on this one, except for the bore. The bore is very good, but has the wide lands, which does not seem right (see photos). Helpful comments would be appreciated.
    IMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0782.JPGIMG_0783.JPGIMG_0784.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I'm sorry I'm to new at the recognition of the barrels right or wrong but that is a beautiful pistol there.

Member #
    Liked
    1786 times
    Perhaps a couple close up, in focus, photos of where the ejector housing would fit may help. No expert here, but I don't like the color of the barrel nor the brown color next to the frame. Thanks.
    sumthin_nu and Rick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Hi, I have not been on here for a while, but looking for help, before I spend the money for a Colt letter. I have a SAA Sheriffs model, on a black powder frame. I know these are scarce but were made, I think on special order. I will try to post photos. Please understand that I have been collecting and shooting these things for more years than I care to admit, and I can usually spot a fake. But I do not claim to be an expert. Everything looks very good on this one, except for the bore. The bore is very good, but has the wide lands, which does not seem right (see photos). Helpful comments would be appreciated.
    IMG_0780.JPGIMG_0781.JPGIMG_0782.JPGIMG_0783.JPGIMG_0784.JPG
    No, that bore does not look right. Notice too the 7 lands and grooves, which didn’t happen on 45’s. The serial numbers don’t look right, and neither does the “45 Cal” on TG. The cylinder flutes are not period, and look more like 1960’s. The front of the trigger guard, the section bearing the SN, looks very thick.

This was an effort to duplicate a scalloped frame, starting with a standard ejector frame.

Fake all the way. Run!!

Member #
    Liked
    4015 times
    Coltsixguns ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    Fake all the way. Run!!
    I agree...and the serial number is too low.
    cloverleaf, victorio1sw and Rick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4015 times
    I’d like to have that frame. I could make it look a lot better than it does. What’s he asking?
    The cylinder looks like one you’d expect on a 38 Colt with those bevels and bullet flutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarsweb View Post

I agree...and the serial number is too low.
    The first Sheriff shipped in 1882
    victorio1sw and Rick like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    No, that bore does not look right. Notice too the 7 lands and grooves, which didn’t happen on 45’s. The serial numbers don’t look right, and neither does the “45 Cal” on TG. The cylinder flutes are not period, and look more like 1960’s. The front of the trigger guard, the section bearing the SN, looks very thick.

This was an effort to duplicate a scalloped frame, starting with a standard ejector frame.

Fake all the way. Run!!
    I would not buy a 1st gen Colt without consulting Victorio. (if he would do so)
    victorio1sw likes this.

Cal

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hope this reply goes through,
    To clarify, I own this gun, purchased it about ten years ago. Just trying to see what I have.
    The serial numbers all match, including the cylinder, and they are of the same stamping type, which looks to me like original. Old style stamping and matching. This in itself is almost impossible to match. The barrel is in question and I appreciate the comments. I will try to post more photos of the front of frame where the cylinder pin is. Thanks, cal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links