• 2 Post By mtidasnubby
  • 2 Post By victorio1sw
  • 1 Post By Cozmo

Thread: 1903 7.5inch 32-20 with Ivories

Member #
    Liked
    1588 times

1903 7.5inch 32-20 with Ivories

I posted a pic of this gun in a previous thread but didn't have it paid for yet to provide better photos. Yahoody asked me to post some better ones when I got it so here it is.

When I originally saw it in the case I thought it was nickeled, but I am now convinced it is bare metal that has been polished to a shine. Its a cool effect, but creates some slight rust issues which you will see in the pics. The rust all appears to be surface rust so a big 44 pad and some oil should clean that up. Though I am somewhat concerned about scratching up the polish but we shall see. Not sure what to do to the gun other than keep it oiled and wiped down after I clean it. Maybe ren wax it?

The ivories are the thing that first attracted me to the gun when I saw it. They have some amazing grain to them and the Colt Custom shop medallions are a nice touch.

They have the number 5536 scratched into the back of them but that doesn't correspond to the serial number of the gun.

I am fairly certain they aren't original to the gun, but neither are they new. How old exactly? I have no clue. But the color leads me to believe they have some decent age on them. Not sure when those medallions were used, but even them they could have been added to the grips at a later date. Not likely but possible.

Haven't shot it yet, but I am liking the feel of the action and that long barrel. This should be a lot of fun with my 1892 32-20 winchester.

Last edited by Kingcobb; 08-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times
    Once you clean off the existing rust, you can use automobile wax on it to protect it from oxidation. If you use the Rain-X brand, I believe it will actually form some chemical bonding with the metal. However, know that such waxes are often water based, so they should be applied and allowed to dry before storing. The old paste car waxes that are suspended in petroleum-based materials (like Turtle wax) can be wiped on; allowed to dry; and then buffed to eliminate the haze.
    Kingcobb, lounick and Lucky Sarge like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    I believe those are Colt Custom Shop medallions from the mid to late 1980's
    Kingcobb and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1588 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    Once you clean off the existing rust, you can use automobile wax on it to protect it from oxidation. If you use the Rain-X brand, I believe it will actually form some chemical bonding with the metal. However, know that such waxes are often water based, so they should be applied and allowed to dry before storing. The old paste car waxes that are suspended in petroleum-based materials (like Turtle wax) can be wiped on; allowed to dry; and then buffed to eliminate the haze.
    I have some rennaisance wax already, I am assuming that will work as well?

Member #
    Liked
    1311 times
    The Big45 pad shouldn't scratch the steel, as it is softer. Just soak the rusty surfaces with such as Kroil, and later scrub with the pad. After using the pad to remove surface rust, there will be some light spotty staining. Those stains can also be removed, but keep in mind that such as the front of the cylinder has some light pitting. Thus the other surfaces of the gun are not expected to be pristine.

As for the "in-the white" surface attracting later rust, it shouldn't do so any more than a blued surface.

As you have suspected, the ivory grips are not original to this gun. But they do look nice as added later. The medallions indicate a much later manufacture. Show me any Colt SAA with ivory or pearl grips, and it will always be a good bet that they are not factory original!
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 08-16-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Kingcobb and LEO918 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14519 times
    Hope you have fun with that one! Nice find
    lounick likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links