Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Andrew V. Duggan

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22097 times

Andrew V. Duggan

Earlier this week, I was watching an old rerun of THE BIG VALLEY in which Andrew V. Duggan was a senator who had once been a famous marshal. The six gun he was using had the classic plastic fake stags like Great Western made famous. Sure enough when the cocked the gun, it had the hammer without the firing pin that Great Western used in just about all of their guns (firing pin built into frame). I immediately thought of Jim Martin who told me he worked for Great Western when he was a young man.

th-1.jpeg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1442 times
    As I recall wasn’t Big Valley also famous for “side ejection” Marlin Lever Action rifles in lieu of Winchester’s?
    lounick and saintclair like this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    12160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmgewehr View Post
    As I recall wasn’t Big Valley also famous for “side ejection” Marlin Lever Action rifles in lieu of Winchester’s?
    Yes. And watching it recently, when the "Barkleys" were in a shootout with a rival ranch those guys had Marlins, too. They just passed the guns around for each scene. Also, I saw Heath's" sixgun when cocked was also a Great Western, but not Nick's. Thank God! I thought Nick was such a cool guy name because of Nick Barkley and comic book Nick Fury I named my son Nick. Thanks God again. Jim Martin told me Peter Breck of the Big Valley was one of the nicest guys he ever met among actors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14958 times
    Paladin's saddle gun was also a Marlin.
    jrm, lounick, saintclair and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Paladin's saddle gun was also a Marlin.
    I missed that one!
    saintclair likes this.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.

Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmgewehr View Post
    I was never much of a fan of The Big Valley but the other day while going around the dial in search of some entertainment I landed on an episode of that show. Very clearly shown in a short segment was what looked like a 1960's vintage Marlin 336. I could tell from the side ejection, lever boss area and the "bullseye" white plastic insert in the bottom of the buttstock.
    Pretty lame propmaster on that set.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9967 times
    Not really - as far as anyone was concerned, every revolver was a 'Colt' and every lever gun was a 'Winchester', and camera lenses of the era didn't show much by way of nuances, they were completely focused on the entertainment value of a non-documentary.

What I always wondered about was where they got the pleasure saddles, stretch fabric and 'Aquanet' in the 1890s…
    saintclair, arjay and STARVATION like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9226 times
    I've only seen Big Valley a couple of times since I was a kid and never noticed the Marlins. Maybe I was too focused on Audrey ♥......My favorite Western faux pas is where they take the forearms off of '92's to make them into Henrys.
    saintclair likes this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Member #
    Liked
    12160 times
    Looks like Peter Breck used his own personal rig on this show since he also wore it on an obscure previous western called "Black Saddle". Whoever made this rig obviously made the one Montgomery Clift wore in "Red River" with his gun down by his knee. Poor Audra Barkley. The best looking chick in "the valley" stuck in that big ranch house an old maid forever because every guy she got the hots for is a crook or a lunatic and had to die by the end of the show. Same with all the guys and the girls they meet.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9226 times
    If I was passin through the big valley and met her I would probably make a nusiance of myself by hangin around every day trying to woo her. Oh and the Cartwright bros had the same problem with gals.
    saintclair and MarkInTx like this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links