Why isn't this 44 SPL garnering no bids?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why isn't this 44 SPL garnering no bids?

Member #
    Liked
    324 times

Why isn't this 44 SPL garnering no bids?

A nice '56 or '57 Colt SAA 5 1/2" in 44 SPL and no one is bidding. Looks converted with 3rd gen barrel and cylinder but still a very nice SAA at, to me, a very low price. I keep telling myself I don't need (or am able to afford) another 44 SPL but not sure how long I can resist. Can someone tell me why it's not worth $1300, or even the $1400 buy it now price?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821655669
    Last edited by beemermark; 08-16-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Colt didn’t introduce the .44sp until 1958. Might be a parts gun.
    Cozmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4052 times
    At that price it’s about what it’s worth. No real deal there.
    Plus 2nd gen barrels are at a premium, due to a thread pitch of the 3rds, so to change length or make it correct you’d be stepping backwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Could you put a 24 inch thread in a frame sized and threaded for 20 in? If the lettering question is correct that it's 3rd get bbl. If so, I would think its a one time forced fit?

Member #
    Liked
    4052 times
    Doc. They do say cross-threading is more secure than red Lok-Tite!
    Thats a lot of threads to cross and the threaded portion is shorter - so you’d have to turn the threaded portion longer and add some more threads.
    lounick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All SAA Colt work; Action Work, Tune-ups, Barrel Rotation for Accuracy, Custom grips, Cylinder fitting. Coltsmith: Bill Fuchs

Member #
    Liked
    14518 times
    What appeals to me about that gun is it belongs to Mike Venturino. Mike's a big fan of the 44s. And he is a member here MLV......send him a PM and ask or send him a note through the auction. What doesn't appeal to me knowing how much Mike shoots is how little he knows about this gun in his ad.

Still $1400? Too bad he wants a USPS MO.
    Last edited by Cozmo; 08-16-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    lounick and bighipiron like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    His (MLV) comments in the listing sure seem that if he did any conversion he would be saying so.
    Cozmo and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4052 times
    Cozmo. Read the added descriptions on the auction. Mike didn’t make it.

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    What appeals to me about that gun is it belongs to Mike Venturino. I'd bet it is a shooter that he put together. Mike's a big fan of the 44s. He is a member here MLV......send him a PM and ask or send him a note through the auction.
    How do you know it belongs to Mike? I wish you wouldn't say these things - I wondered being from Montana. I just like the caliber (next to the 44-40). I understand it's a 2nd gen converted to 44 special with 3rd gen parts. Gun isn't collectible or anything special but a really nice, good looking shooter at decent price. IMHO the 2nd gen guns are the most affordable, nicest Colts available.

Member #
    Liked
    14518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark
    How do you know it belongs to Mike? I wish you wouldn't say these things -
    And he is a member here MLV......send him a PM and ask or send him a note through the auction. What doesn't appeal to me knowing how much Mike shoots is how little he knows about this gun in his ad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links