Jerry Harper 32-20 Colt!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Jerry Harper 32-20 Colt!

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Same here, i don't really like engraving and don't think i will engrave any of my Colt but this is beautiful. Me Like.
    Cozmo and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14525 times
    Romulus, welcome to the forum!
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I am lucky enough to have a couple of guns Jerry Harper engraved in the last few years of his life. I am still in awe of his efforts and art. Recently I have had reason to revisit engravers now working and bemoaning the good ones that have passed.

I have seen Harper guns come and go on the auction sites and generally never had the money at the right time to snag another one.

In passing recently I sent a buddy who likes 32-20s, some photos of one of Jerry's better efforts IMO. He didn't say much past, "thanks" Turns out it was my buddy that picked this one last time it was available. Lucky man! Thought I'd share a picture as I am so jealous. It is an outstanding gun . Only fault I can find with it? It's not mine!

One thing this forum should prove to all of us if you bother looking around. We are just care takers of these pieces. Make your own history with them, may be decide where they should go next, because you can't take them with you.

I count myself lucky to have what I do even if it is just to stare at them on occasion because there will eventually be a time I won't be shooting them. The old stories, the fantasies and the times that were or could have been is what we'll end up. I plan on enjoying mine until I can't one way or another. Even if it is just to look at them and ponder their...or Colt's long history.

A Harper 1914 Colt in 32-30. It is a feast for one that appreciates a really nice old Colt. Dbl click for a larger photo.

I usually don't like guns that have been recently engraved, but that one is exceptional. I like the way the beaded background has been darkened for contrast. Not sure if there is any finish, or if it is a satin (dull) nickel, but it looks much nicer than a bright nickel. Attractive one-piece Ivory!
    Cozmo and lounick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14525 times
    Nutmeg calls the finish "antique" nickel. It is pretty durable in the grand scheme things.
    victorio1sw and lounick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Nutmeg calls the finish "antique" nickel. It is pretty durable in the grand scheme things.
    So it wasn't polished after plating. The few times that I ever nickel a gun part, I have to nearly stand on the plater to avert polishing afterward. A few months ago I needed a nickel plated Colt SAA hammer. I hand-polished it myself in prep for plating (no buffing wheel!). Then took it to a guy downtown and told him 10 times not to polish. The next day I went to get the hammer and pay him. I could see that he habitually put it on a buffing wheel, and caught himself when it was about 65% buffed. Not good!

As I have mentioned before, these plating shops cannot be trusted. And when the parts have been carefully polished and are ready for plating, the plater is only out about 5 minutes with no real work to be done!
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 08-18-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    lounick and Cozmo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    756 times
    Very very Nice!!

Member #
    Liked
    617 times
    Nice, uniform cuts, that are not too deep. Great patterns.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2998 times
    I like it a lot. It's quite a good looking Colt to say the least. And a big thanks for sharing it with us here.
    ei8ht, Colt-SL and Cozmo like this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    ​I still have 3 sets of Colt SAA's that Jerry (Vinegaroon) engraved for me. One set is consecutive serial numbers made in 1960. He lived only 24 miles from me. I visited him often up until just before he passed away. He was a gifted artist. He held the title PROFESSOR OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE Emeritus from Carson-Newman University. He taught Spanish for many years and was in charge of the department of foreign language. He loved western history and Mexican history. He was an authority on Poncho Villa, Benito Juarez and others. He loved to talk about them. He took his students to Mexico each year if they could pay a portion of their way. He didn't just engrave guns. There was a lot to Dr. Jerome P. Harper.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

J. Harper

Thank you Mike for this info. always nice to hear what a great person Jerry was, God rest his sole! He is missed by a lot of us.
    Cozmo likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links