Colorado relics found in mill creek
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Colorado relics found in mill creek

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Wow that's awesome. I would wonder if the owner met his fate by an accident or an animal attack and never recovered. If a two legged animal killed him I'm sure the guy or guys would have retreived the weapons and continued on. But if nature played a roll(bear, cat or fall from a horse) then the hardware would be left undistrubed. The stories would be interesting indeed.
    SHOOTER13 and usgi1911A1 like this.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Member #
    Liked
    6242 times
    Creek crossings are common places for horses or mules to buck, trip, or roll. He could have just as easily lost a small bedroll or saddle bag with the items in it. I've lost tents, ponchos, and had a friend lose a pair of glasses - all in creek crossings. Sometimes you don't realize something is missing until miles down the trail either, then don't know exactly where it fell off.

Once in the Gila Wilderness I was on a mulepacking trip, riding my best mule Horace. He didn't like getting in bogs or mud, so would occasionally hunker down and leap over the smallest stream. Didn't want his feet wet I guess. You had to be aware, and stop him, or just ride it out. On this trip I had a small digital camera hanging on the saddle horn. Got to a red-rock bedrock creek, and he decided to jump it when I paused to let him drink. The camera flew off the saddle horn into the air, hit a boulder in the center of the water, then bounced into the drink. I fished it out and removed the batteries, dried it on the ride. The next day, it worked fine!
    Last edited by azshot; 08-20-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    LEO918, lboos, SHOOTER13 and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Very cool set, I love this type of stuff as well! My FIL found a lever action rifle leaning against a tree in his woods in 1969, the wood was gone then! I have it, it's a 32-20 I believe, I need to mount it on something and display it. I thought about trying to remove the outer layer with one of those rust removing soaks but haven't tried it yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    743 times
    This Colt revolver, made in 1878, may have been lost during the Battle of Mill Creek in 1879. Here is a portion of an article that provides some information about this engagement between the U.S. Army and the Ute Indians.

Rusty Edwards

A Costly Colorado Confrontation

Last week we described how, in 1879, Northern Utes pinned down a sizable military unit commanded by Major Thornburgh just north of Mill Creek; about 30 miles north of Meeker, Col. Thornburgh had been killed in the initial ambush. When Company D of the 9th Cavalry Regiment rode to the rescue, they were soon pinned down. Company D, consisting of black soldiers known by the Indians as Buffalo Soldiers, soon found themselves in the same life-threatening situation as the remains of Thornburgh’s command.

A scout from Thornburgh’s force named Joe Rankin rode non-stop to Rawlins, Wyoming, covering the 150 miles in 27 hours. A large force under General Wesley Merritt from Rawlkins finally relieved the soldiers pinned down near Milk Creek, who had been confined to their trenches for six days, had lost at least 148 horses, and at least 25 men dead.

Last edited by Ruster; 08-20-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Dream up a scenario that caused the hammer spur and main spring to break.
    dandak, SHOOTER13 and usgi1911A1 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    743 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfrushour View Post
    Dream up a scenario that caused the hammer spur and main spring to break.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lboos, SHOOTER13 and usgi1911A1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    Just for shits and giggles why dont some of us write a story based of that find and post it here?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    6242 times
    Too busy with work today to write a story about the gun. But here is a title to get someone started, and a genre (romance novel), and and introduction:

"The cowboy loved his Colt SAA like he could love no woman. But now he would have to try, because of a tragic loss of the Colt SAA...."

Last edited by azshot; 08-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    SHOOTER13, 29aholic and lboos like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9805 times
    I looked like that before the accident...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Fantastic looking pair of relics, JP. Oh, if only that old Colt could talk...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links