How have you altered a Colt SAA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: How have you altered a Colt SAA

Member #
    Liked
    115 times

How have you altered a Colt SAA

On one of my trips out of the interior/bush of Alaska, in 1973, came across a Colt SAA 4 3/4" .357 magnum 2nd Gen in a Pawn Shop in Anchorage. Did some trading n' it went out the door with me. Pawn Shop asking price was $135.00 Back then I wasn't too fond of a SAA being in .357 magnum. Already having/using in the bush a 1958 5 1/2" SAA in .44 Special, so decided to alter/convert this .357 magnum to suit 'me'.

I sent the cylinder off to Christy Gun Works and they re-bored it to .44 Special. Having a 7 1/2" factory .44 Special barrel on hand, had a gunsmith cut it down to 4 3/4", seeing as that barrel length wasn't offered with a 2nd Gen SAA. In the meantime I 'dehorned' any corners/ridges on the trigger guard (give me a break here, k'. Colt SAA's were readily available back then) and sent it off to Armoloy for their coating. Later on added a Webley type butt swivel - they do come in handy when canoeing. About 9 years ago, stopped by to visit with Bob Munden and left it with him for his action work. All-in-all it has been/is a useful tool for 'me'.

Would I give a Colt SAA such treatment again today? Most likely not, unless it was a basket case.
    What have others done to Colt SAA's, altering them from their original factory release?
    An older Model 100 Lawrence holster, but still in top shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by silvertip44; 08-19-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    hwjhfs, Cozmo, jringo8769 and 8 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14518 times
    Nice! A gun that gets used and mods to make it more durable and user friendly. Well done.

I didn't do the work but perfect gun for my own use. I came to me as a 4", 3rd Gen, 4" in .44.

Also a 44 Special where I use 240s. More recently I fit a 44-40 cylinder for 200s. I got it with stag. Never a big fan of stag I bought and fit a set of true once piece walnut blanks from Dave Lanara to take the abuse of a saddle gun gets. Had Jim do a new design for me on the holster. I like the combo.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    Nothing that drastic, I changed grips and cylinder on a commemorative model.
    Cozmo, saintclair, LEO918 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Colts are expensive today so extensive mods are kinda out of the question. However on 1st and 2nd gen revolvers I've swapped barrels & cylinders, had them case hardened and re-blued. IMHO an early gun that has already been put through the "fire" (shot out, hammered to death and no longer original) is simply waited to be "transformed. I don't considered 2nd gen guns to be even remotely "collectible" and have no qualms whatsoever having caliber changes and refinished.
    LEO918 and highway08 like this.

Member #
    Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter
    Liked
    443 times
    Mainly spring replacement, action work and after market grips. Plus a consecutive numbered pair of the 125th Anniversary commemorative from 1961 that went to Nutmeg for one-piece ivory and Turnbull for "1st gen" refinishing.

As purchased:
    SAAs Turnbull pair 016.jpg

as completed:
    SAAs Turnbull pair 001.JPGThey are now my main-match revolvers for cowboy action shooting.
    With custom Trailrider rig:
    Trailrider custom rig 003.JPG
    Fulfilling a life-long fantasy playing cowboys with my Colts!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22096 times
    I have a 2nd gen that was in 357 mag that I converted to a 44 special with Colt barrel and cylinder. I sent the 357 mag cylinder to Jim Cornwall and had him re-bore it to 44-40 to go with the SAA so it could shoot both cartridges. Both cylinders have the rampant colt on the rear.
    LEO918, theprofessor and Mosby like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4437 times
    Picked up this well used 2nd Generation .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel and a ruined hammer for a very good price at a Phoenix gun show. I had a .44 barrel I'd bought for $80 at a show in Yuma. Dropped it off with Bob James for a new hammer, barrel swap, cylinder bore and action job. Fitted Ram's Horn grips myself, now it's a great .44 Special shooter configured just the way I wanted.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    530 times
    2 of these old girls, (top and bottom), were not factory when I got them, so they danced with the torch and hack saw.

45001.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    2063 times
    Short barreled NF45 , Tom Sargis installed the 12' barrel and i installed the 1860 army brass grip frame and longer screw for the stock.

BUNT 1.jpegBUNT2.jpegBUNT 1.jpeg
    ColtSAA3G likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12157 times
    Your modified SAA with lanyard ring looks great. And practical for your uses. On a rare impulse buy for me I picked up this grip frame and grips and tried them on a couple .45s. The trigger hole was plugged. These grips felt great in the hand and I thought it looked like Bass Outlaw's slip gun. But I sold it to Swamprat and it's probably still in his estate collection for sale now, may he rest in peace.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links