Colt Forum banner

Colt SAA - Those Old Spotted Holsters

9K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  NorwichCadet 
#1 · (Edited)
Leather-smiths call these dome-headed things "Spots". They are made of thin sheet brass, with many nickel plated. A few are made of German silver. The Spots came in various diameters from 1/8" up to 1". Two spear-pointed projections go through the leather and are bent over on the back side.

The holster or harness maker often added these Spots at extra cost. A few holsters were obviously carved in patterns leaving places for the Spots to be applied. But no doubt the Cow-Boy also sometimes applied Spots, having purchased a handful from his local saddle maker.

Pictured here are two such holsters, both for 5-1/2" Colt SAA's.

One was heavily tooled with floral patterns, made from heavy leather.

Another was very plain, again made from heavy leather, but dressed-up with Spots to make it attractive.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This time a Scabbard for a Winchester M1895 Carbine. This well-made scabbard was laced along the long edge and across both sides of the top. A circle of 15 German Silver Spots decorate the exposed side (when affixed to a horse). That circle of Spots surround the initials "F. B. R." (Floyd B. Rigdon of Carlsbad, NM).

He died there in Aug 1990.

Floyd B. Rigdon was raised on a horse ranch near Newkirk, Kay County, Oklahoma 1902-20, and later worked as a linotype operator at a local printing office. This led to being a reporter for a Newkirk newspaper. By 1935, at the age of 33, he moved to Carlsbad, NM where he was publisher of a newspaper.

He died there on Aug 8, 1990 with a most interesting tombstone "Cowboys called him a newspaper man, Newspaper men called him a Cowboy".

Attachments

#3 ·
Top of pouch decorated with two 5/8" and four 3/8" brass spots. Loop has central 1/2" spot with two 3/8" spots on either side. Lower inside of skirt stamped "418 / 45 / 5 1/2 / C S A". This holster for a 5-1/2" Colt SAA came from a New Mexico source, along with matching belt also with spots.

Attachments

#4 ·
For a 5-1/2" Colt SAA. Made of medium thick leather w/one 1-1/2 x 1-1/8" tapered loop attached to skirt w/2 splash rivets. Pouch & skirt are integral. Skirt is 1-1/4" shorter than pouch bottom. Top of pouch decorated with five 5/8" brass spots. Loop has two 5/8" brass spots on either side. No maker or catalog number stampings. Smooth dark brown pliable leather with lite surface crazing.

Attachments

#12 ·
The Native American Indians of various tribes used a variety of brass tacks, feathers, beads, fur, bone, leather strips and fringe, and other trinkets to decorate their knives, scabbards, hatchets, spears, bows, war clubs, shields, quivers, headdress, buckskins, and even their mounts...before being presented with the firearm through capture and trade.

The French Traders of the era learned this craftwork, incorporated it into their custom, and then likely spread this type of artwork into the forts, outposts, and settlements till it became part of Folk Americana...

#17 ·
In C&WAS, there's also an element that prizes authenticity, and when putting together the appropriate outfit, leather's important.

Not every waddy owned a carved rig (hard to imagine, but true) and dry goods (mail order) leather was the least expensive out there at the time.

Thing is, no one today really replicated that - preferring to go with the more expensive gear.

Enter 'Oklahoma Leather' - a low-priced line that looked close to exactly 'right' for a guy just representing a cowboy of the era, and who didn't want to go too far into debt for an expensive game.

Flat, with minor stamped decoration, a bit over-oiled - these were fine examples for what was really worn by working cowboys.

All that said - the addition of spots and conchos 'made' these homely rigs, and now that they've been 'in service' for 25-30 years, they're looking pretty good, so be aware of this.

#24 ·
Chaffee, That is a very nice early pattern Frazer-Pueblo holster for a 7-1/2" Colt SAA. I also like that Scout Belt! Anyone would love to own that rig.
Thanks. I got that from a member here a few years ago but don't remember who. Any help with dating would be appreciated. the markings read 'R.T. FRAZIER PUEBLO-COLO.'

#21 ·
Shooter13, Some great pictures of Indian guns and artifacts. Every time I see those C. S. Fly photos of Geronimo and his band, equipped for war, I want to thank him personally! Also I have gratitude to those Apaches for realizing that they would soon pass from the Earth by allowing the pictures to be taken.

#27 ·
Here is a holster that was definitely Tooled and Spotted by the same leather-smith. While the holster was still a flat piece of leather, the tooling was done, leaving places for Spots to be added. Spots were then added prior to any stitching. The single loop was sewed on, and then the lining was sewn in place. Finally, the long seam was stitched to complete this holster.

This holster perfectly fits a 5-1/2" Colt SAA, as shown.

Attachments

#28 ·
This holster had a 4-3/4" Colt SAA buried into it (shoved to bottom) when found! It may not have been intended for a Colt SAA, as the indicated barrel length would be 6-1/2". A 5-1/2" SAA is shown inserted.

Attachments

#30 ·
I used to know one of the pre-eminent 'creators' of 'authentic Indian' stuff - he even did it for the guys from the Rez, making Trapdoors, Sharps and everything else into 'ancestral heirlooms' to be sold to unsuspecting buyers of all stripes.

He did it for decades after WWII - until the late '70's - and 'prolific' describes his output - his work was top of the line, and much of it is still in museum displays, largely because 'curators' have their degrees in European Art History.

I actually knew a couple of those guys - one who did Indian War saddlery and WWII German stuff - another who did Native American and Confederate material and followed the flea market circuit in the Southern states - both sold through Manion's from time to time.

I got pretty good at spotting fakes...

#32 · (Edited)
That is classic! The guy even supplied the Rez. Yes, I have heard similar stories about such as the mother of Jesse James, wife of Pancho Villa, and the lone survivor of the Coffeeville Raid - Emmett Dalton. Many years ago a friend showed me a 4" blued black powder Colt SAA Sheriff's Model that had "Emmett Dalton" lightly scratched on the butt strap.

Reactions: SHOOTER13
#31 · (Edited)
Some great looking holsters in this thread! The sawed off Rolling Block caught my eye, I think that would make a good base concept to fix some of the "sporterized" Rolling Blocks I've seen.

That would be a practical "conversion" from a long-barreled Rem RB rifle. Then used as a Carbine or "Trapper's Model".

#34 ·
Here's one with spots I made thirty years ago for a friend. A two gun copy of Hopalong Cassidy's rig. Also, that beat up magazine there is a 1970 Guns & Ammo my dad bought when I was thirteen. I was just starting my leather fetish and kept it all these years because of that Indian made two gun beaded rig. I never seen it in any other book or being in a museum somewhere. It's the most impressive holster outfit I've ever seen.

#35 ·
Original tacks are lead-backed - with square shanks - the first guy I'd mentioned used to scour the dumps for discarded furniture to get them, because they stayed in production for quite some time.

Another bit of decoration was the tin tags found on plug tobacco, as they were brightly colored.

If you ever want to see a modern maker's examples, look to the sadly deceased Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose Trading Co.) - Chuck marked 'his' work, but he did it right, because his intent was not to deceive - the other guy didn't, though he never 'said' his stuff was spurious - he let the buyer convince himself...

Don't ever by a frame of arrowheads on a yellow burlap background - I'll give you that for free...;-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.