What they looked like when new in 1880
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: What they looked like when new in 1880

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowfo356 View Post
    How does one with the means to spend 500k to 1.2m not have the object authenticated by a neutral third party expert? Maybe my money comes too hard to not know what exactly I'm getting. (Unless it's just impulse and that's not anyone's fault).
    I have an acquaintance who's trust was spinning off a million a day or so I was told. I doubt he would take the time to verify originality of a purchase like this. For him rarity was everything and price was pretty much irrelevant. In my case I overthink $100 purchases.

Member #
    Liked
    2797 times
    Here's a few shots of the nearly new, unfired Cavalry I had for a few years until it was sold. You can see the wonderful color and the proud barrel lettering. Kopec "blessed" this one too.

JP Attachment 654545CIMG1220.jpgCIMG1229.jpgCIMG1226.jpg
    Last edited by jplower; 09-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    mrcvs, binggo, bczadnm and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1058 times
    JP, your gun has a much more honest look to it then the subject gun. Your pictures are not so professional as to actually distort the finish and textures of the metal. I would like to see the subject gun photographed differently then it is before passing final judgement. It does not seem to match the Kopec letter but a lot of time passed between the letter and now.
    mrcvs and rockislandauction like this.
    This all started with one gun!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1887 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikebiker View Post
    JP, your gun has a much more honest look to it then the subject gun. Your pictures are not so professional as to actually distort the finish and textures of the metal. I would like to see the subject gun photographed differently then it is before passing final judgement. It does not seem to match the Kopec letter but a lot of time passed between the letter and now.
    I agree.

Member #
    Liked
    1474 times
    Has the firing pin been replaced? The pin does not look right, particularly on the right side fit.

Now the right side picture has disappeared.

Member #
    Liked
    2797 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    <font color="#333333">Has the firing pin been replaced? The pin does not look right, particularly on the right side fit.</font><br>
    <br>
    <font color="#333333">Now the right side picture has disappeared.</font>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    The current owner does not want any further photos to be shown. Kopec did mention the firing pin, but my observations of new guns show various imperfections on the hammer from firing pin rivet installation. It wold be unlikely that the pin was replaced unless it failed during proofing and was replaced, so I say, why is that a concern? I don't think Kopec considered this possibility or the various errors workmen can make. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.<br>
    <br>
    JP
    Last edited by jplower; 09-23-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1474 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    The current owner does not want any further photos to be shown. Kopec did mention the firing pin, but my observations of new guns show various imperfections on the hammer from firing pin rivet installation. It wold be unlikely that the pin was replaced unless it failed during proofing and was replaced, so I say, why is that a concern? I don't think Kopec considered this possibility or the various errors workmen can make. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.<br>
    <br>
    JP
    The current owner OKs pictures of the left side of the hammer, but not the right side, which were previously posted? That right side pin insertion was very sloppy, and certainly indicates non Colt firing pin installation. Not something you would expect on an unfired government inspected gun. If you can attribute that to "various errors workmen can make", then you can make excuses for any aberration.

So, Kopec did mention the firing pin, but you disagree with his assessment? If we can routinely disagree with Kopec's authentications because they do not suit us, of what value are they? I am always learning, and enjoy evaluating these guns, and asking questions about what "just don't look right".
    mrcvs likes this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1887 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jplower View Post
    The current owner does not want any further photos to be shown.
    JP
    Huh?!?!?!!!

A gun of this impeccable quality, if it truly is as good as it is, requires multiple photographs of various angles and views to allow for full assessment.

Not allowing certain parts to be photographed tells me the owner (or other parties involved) have something to hide or they know it's of questionable integrity.

Censorship is NEVER a good idea.

Member #
    Liked
    1474 times
    I don't want my comments to be taken personally by anyone. Not my intention. I just want to evaluate what I see when examining a gun. Others may see things differently. As much as these US Colts have been altered and restored over time, by amateurs and experts, the knowledge acquired here from forum comments may help prevent some buyer from falling into the pit of fakery or alteration from originality.

I just bought a 100% original Colt Dragoon made 1851. Lots of money. After I showed it on the percussion forum, it was brought to my attention that my 3 screw gun had the frame and butt altered to accept a shoulder stock, undoubtedly long ago. Can't believe I missed that. Would have been a $ bargaining point.
    mrcvs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    Very interesting thread for me as I have limited knowledge but extreme interest in these US issued guns. Out of curiosity, is the acceptance process at the factory and by the government documented? Do we know why guns would not have met quality control guidelines? Would guns be rejected for finish issues or did it have to be some sort of function issue?
    Thanks in advance,
    bob

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links