• 1 Post By Cozmo
  • 1 Post By Jim Martin
  • 1 Post By Cozmo

Thread: Colt hands?

Member #
    Liked
    14708 times

Colt hands?

Why is it that almost every single SAA from Colt I have seen from the early '70s well into the mid '80s just prior to the Colt labor strike all have hands that are too short. Which means the bolt is gonna drop early and score the cylinder.

Nothing wrong with the bolts or the hammer cam. Just short hands not turning the cylinder fat enough.

Easy enough to fix, either stretch the hand or put a longer one in. May be I missed the memo but never seen anyone talk about it.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    How short/early are we talking? Got any pictures for us? And does replacing them with later production parts seem to consistently solve the problem? Ie at what point did Colt start getting the hand length right again?
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    630 times
    If the hand is too short this means the cylinder won't lock up either when cocked slowly or with a fouled cylinder pin. Aren't we talking about the bolt dropping too early?
    Joel6180 and lounick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14708 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar
    If the hand is too short this means the cylinder won't lock up either when cocked slowly or with a fouled cylinder pin. Aren't we talking about the bolt dropping too early?
    Both. If you cock the hammer slowly the bolt does not lock up.
    Prowbar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1873 times
    Well, the early 70's was the same style hand as the 2nds and 1st gens, so don't see a problem there. When the 3rd gens started (1978) the hand was redesigned and it is shorter than the first style. Are you using those 3rd gen hands? Sometimes they won't even function with a 1st or 2nd cylinder. I took several 3rd gens hand to a local TIG welder to get more metal added to them in hopes I could shape them out the same as the first style hands, but the weld job was too heavy and I could not get the shape I was after so gave up. I do think though that someone with talent can take those 3rd gen hands, weld and file and end up with 1st, 2nd gen style hands. I have heard of peening the hands to stretch them but I don't think that will work with the 3rds since they look like a casting. Has anyone tried stretching the 3rds? I think too that even if one was able to get the 3rd gen hand long enough to work that the lower tooth would have to be altered also to function????

Member #
    Liked
    5809 times

colt hands

A side note about 3rd gen hands,colt has dis-continued making them,this info came directly to me from Brownells.ASM hands can be used in the colt if u can find any.Look in the Brownells catalog under Smith enterprises they make hands & bolts for the 1st & 2nd gen colts but they are a "must fit" parts & are the only source I know that makes trigger & bolt screws for the 1st gen frames.
    Last edited by Jim Martin; 09-05-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14708 times
    Thank you gentlemen

After months of no new parts I did just buy half dozen new 3rd Gen Colt bolts from Brownells. I was hoping the hands would be along shortly.
    lounick likes this.

Sponsored Links