Puzzling stamps on my SAA
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Puzzling stamps on my SAA

Member #
    Liked
    12306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAgnes View Post

The grips being correct to the gun are way better looking than the usual wood grips that came on nickel guns of the period. No wonder eagleeye's name is eagleeye spotting this gun right down to the serial number. I hope the anomalies of the gun like weird marked grip frame and barrel address on the other side made you get a real deal on it.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1523 times
    It is possible that Colt assembled your gun with overrun parts from past production. Being a very late 2nd Gen gun might support this possibility. However, there aren't many pictures, which leaves all of us in the dark for comment.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22422 times
    Come to think about it, I have one 2nd gen in that same SN range in the woodgrain box. I have not looked at it since I purchased it well over 15 years ago. It may be a parts gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    I thought I had heard of these before, refered to as "non-standard production models" or something like that. About two months ago I saw a used one at a local California gun shop, it was a 2nd Gen with beveled cylinder and "single action army .45" on the right side of the barrel. If I remember correctly it was a 5 1/2" barrel in blue/cch. They wanted $2000, it was not beat up but definitely well used.

Member #
    Liked
    12306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    Wilkerson states that they were in fact , the barrels , trigger guards, & backstraps are left over from the NRA commemorative from 1971 and the bevel cylinders in 45 caliber from the Peacemaker Centennials series of 1973
    Do you think Colt was kind of cleaning house putting all these parts together because they knew they were going to retool and change the barrel/frame threads and old barrels would be useless on the new style frames?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15256 times
    Shouldn't the stocks on Tim's nickel SAA have medallions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    15256 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    Attachment 651595Attachment 651595by the way BlackAgnes ( Tim ) told me he was going to post some pictures of his recent purchase , but just to wet your whistle here is mine Attachment 651581Attachment 651583Attachment 651583

notice the colt 45 on right hand side of barrel and bevel cylinder.

I cant wait until OP post his pics
    don't know why its double posting pics . sorry !
    Interesting Colt and info, thanks! Regarding the letter, wonder why the obvious special features weren't listed and OMG, the letter says .45 LONG COLT! Say it ain't so
    Mosby likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    937 times
    Rick
    45 long colt straight from the horses mouth( Rampant Colt ) no pun intended

as for the special features I called after I got letter and asked / told them the features were listed in Wilkerson book , they said they don't go by the Wilkerson book only what they have listed in there archives. I think that was BS. they knew !!! how they built it.

and for the medallions mine didn't either( I still have the original stocks , had Paul Persinger fit ivory on mine .

and for Wyatt Burp , no telling , im sure they had frames and barrels, cylinder left over and used them all. I so call the End Run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Interesting Colt and info, thanks! Regarding the letter, wonder why the obvious special features weren't listed and OMG, the letter says .45 LONG COLT! Say it ain't so
    Rick Bowles and superdave269 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    eagleeye--

I received Don Wilkerson's book today and found my exact revolver pictured in page 71 and described on page 72. All numbers listed are found on my gun! I want to thank you publicly for noticing this and pointing it out to me and the other Forum members.
    It appears I have a rather special firearm.

Tim

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    937 times
    BlackAgnes , cheers !!!!! thank you for the thanks . I was excited to see it on the forum and when I spotted it I knew you had a very unique SAA.

I knew you would be thrilled to see your gun in a book , I know I would.

I have learned a lot here and just passing some insight to help others as others have helped me in the past when I had questions.

this is the best forum bar none .

EagleEye
    Rick Bowles likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links