Puzzling stamps on my SAA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Puzzling stamps on my SAA

Member #
    Liked
    100 times

Question Puzzling stamps on my SAA

This is a very late 2nd generation nickel .45. Do any of you know what these stamps mean? The gun doesn't look at all modified/redone--the front of the cylinder is stamped 222 which is no part of the serial number also, but has the rampant Colt stamp on the rear face. The grips are correct. Came in a correctly marked original woodgrain box with papers.

Could these late 2nd gen guns have been put together with parts at the factory? Serial Number is 663XXSA.

Thanks!

Tim
    lounick, saintclair and eagleeye like this.
    Tim

Member #
    Liked
    14711 times
    Hi Tim,

By the looks of it you have a parts gun some one made up. The trigger guard is off a NRA Comm. from 1971. The made 5001 of them. Your trigger guard looks to be NRA4171. I have NRA2021. Your back strap is another number altogether XXXXXSA? It could be 66360SA. Does you paper work serial number match your SAA you frame's number?

My guess is it is a parts gun some one built. But you could always get a Colt letter and see how it came from the factory to know for sure..
    lounick likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Hi Tim,

By the looks of it you have a parts gun some one made up. The trigger guard is off a NRA Comm. from 1971. The made 5001 of them. Your trigger guard looks to be NRA4171. I have NRA2021. Your back strap is another number altogether XXXXXSA? It could be 66360SA. Does you paper work serial number match your SAA you frame's number?

My guess is it is a parts gun some one built. But you could always get a Colt letter and see how it came from the factory to know for sure..
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15243 times
    Seems like I recall Colt having (and subsequently using) left over parts from the NRA run. To add to the confusion, the number on the back strap appears to be stamped over a different number.
    lounick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    you have a very serious colt there.
    does the serial number happen to be 66329SA and is it a 7.5 " barrel , nickel finish ??? is the cylinder beveled ?,
    is the caliber line on the opposite side of normal place it should be ? are the wood stocks numbered 296 ?

if you answered yes to the above you have a very Rare / scarce 2nd gen SAA . if that is the one then it shipped on 4/10/1974

hope it is new or like new and the original box to boot , WOW !!!!!
    colt put this SAA together ( factory ) , not a parts gun from Bubba

PS , more pics are due / required let us see it all, box too
    Last edited by eagleeye; 09-05-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22412 times
    eagleeye, Tell us more about what you know about the gun you described.

Member #
    Liked
    1285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    you have a very serious colt there.
    does the serial number happen to be 66329SA and is it a 7.5 " barrel , nickel finish ??? is the cylinder beveled ?,
    is the caliber line on the opposite side of normal place it should be ? are the wood stocks numbered 296 ?

if you answered yes to the above you have a very Rare / scarce 2nd gen SAA . if that is the one then it shipped on 4/10/1974

hope it is new or like new and the original box to boot , WOW !!!!!
    colt put this SAA together ( factory ) , not a parts gun from Bubba

PS , more pics are due / required let us see it all, box too
    I too want to know more about this one. Especially since it's a birth year gun and that year Colt didn't make a whole lot. Still searching for one

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    you guys need to look at Don Wilkerson book , Colt Single Action Revolvers
    Handbook 1955-1975 (red cover with someone holding a SAA with the hammer cocked back.
    that gun in particular with the OP is the gun featured in the book with it being pictured on page 71-72 ,and a couple of paragraphs describing the actual pistol . BlackAgnes ( TIM) hit a grand slam by purchasing that gun , I have already talked to Tim
    a new in box plus its featured in a Book by the renowned Don Wilkerson = pay dirt all day long.

I also have one that is almost or is as rare/scarce as this one from the OP. I believe his were only 7 made like that one, and mine with colt letter states that only 3 were made in my configuration. mine is new but no box , he has a box and paper work .

Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    eagleeye, Tell us more about what you know about the gun you described.
    Last edited by eagleeye; 09-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Colt never wasted anything.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0916.jpgby the way BlackAgnes ( Tim ) told me he was going to post some pictures of his recent purchase , but just to wet your whistle here is mine IMG_0461.jpegIMG_0466.jpegIMG_0466.jpeg

notice the colt 45 on right hand side of barrel and bevel cylinder.

I cant wait until OP post his pics
    don't know why its double posting pics . sorry !
    Last edited by eagleeye; 09-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    29aholic and Cozmo like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links