Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 1893 Colt SAA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22408 times
    I agree that it is best left 'as is.'
    Rick, victorio1sw and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1285 times
    As others have said, there is no amount of money you can put into it that will make it worth more than what you end up having in the gun, and that gap will only grow the more you add. That being said, nobody here will be looking at that gun nor shooting it, so if you set value aside, you need to ask yourself what do you want it to look like? If you don't like the nickel now, then refinish it. I had a similar situation with an original 1873 made in 1887 that had been reblued and poorly at that. I had the frame and associated parts case colored. I'll never get back what I put into it, but I am very glad I did the job. Now I love taking it out and shooting it, and folks love the way it looks. If the colt were mine, I would probably spend (waste) the money getting it back to original. Sometimes having the collector's value taken out of your hands can be a good thing. It really comes down to what you want to do with it, though.

Member #
    Liked
    1828 times
    You could have it stripped and refinished blue and case but to put back buffed away metal (i.e. dished screw holes etc.) would be cost prohibitive IMO.
    I think it looks pretty good as is.
    29aholic likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12283 times
    I found a very similar gun to yours at a very low price on consignment locally three or four years ago. It was cut down to 5". 1890, .44-40, renickeled, and mismatched grips. Though the renickel looks heavy on it and overdone, like yours the frame markings were clear. Mine was in a period with no rampant colt on the frame like your's has. I like it just the way it is except it has real pearl grips on it now. I think your looks great as is, especially since it's just how your grand dad had it. And it being black powder frame but with the "new" hard rubber grips without the eagle might be a little unique.

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 09-06-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3178 times
    Must agree also. Leave as is. Very nice gun with nice family history. Thanks for sharing it with us here.
    Colt-SL likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Thank You for all the advise. I will leave it as it is. Will not shoot it but I will enjoy it alone with my others.
    WTdpM%%XSsSoUs1R4xSHjQ.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    29aholic, Matt58 and jrm like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links