Colt Forum banner

1893 Colt SAA

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Finsdad 
#1 ·
Got this from my grandfather. Any info will help. I got a letter from Colt archives and know it was originally blue. Thinking of getting it refinished but got quotes from 500-4000. Is it worth looking into?
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

See less See more
#5 ·
How does the barrel address look? It is by far not the worst job I've seen. The patent, rampant Colt, and the serial numbers are still fairly sharp. The worse part about the job is they buffed the frame separate from the BS & TG so now they dont mate up nice and clean.

I would not mess with it

#9 ·
The others have all given you solid advice. The only thing that I'd add is that the trigger is too far forward, which means that the top of the trigger sear is probably broken. If you plan on shooting it, I'd suggest talking with a good SAA smith to see about a repair. Top choice is forum member Jim Martin, send him a PM and he'll get back to you.

Best regards,

#10 ·
Got this from my grandfather. Any info will help. I got a letter from Colt archives and know it was originally blue. Thinking of getting it refinished but got quotes from 500-4000. Is it worth looking into?
View attachment 651773
This gun has been renickeled once, and badly done.

Reactions: Rick Bowles
#12 ·
As others have said, there is no amount of money you can put into it that will make it worth more than what you end up having in the gun, and that gap will only grow the more you add. That being said, nobody here will be looking at that gun nor shooting it, so if you set value aside, you need to ask yourself what do you want it to look like? If you don't like the nickel now, then refinish it. I had a similar situation with an original 1873 made in 1887 that had been reblued and poorly at that. I had the frame and associated parts case colored. I'll never get back what I put into it, but I am very glad I did the job. Now I love taking it out and shooting it, and folks love the way it looks. If the colt were mine, I would probably spend (waste) the money getting it back to original. Sometimes having the collector's value taken out of your hands can be a good thing. It really comes down to what you want to do with it, though.

#14 · (Edited)
I found a very similar gun to yours at a very low price on consignment locally three or four years ago. It was cut down to 5". 1890, .44-40, renickeled, and mismatched grips. Though the renickel looks heavy on it and overdone, like yours the frame markings were clear. Mine was in a period with no rampant colt on the frame like your's has. I like it just the way it is except it has real pearl grips on it now. I think your looks great as is, especially since it's just how your grand dad had it. And it being black powder frame but with the "new" hard rubber grips without the eagle might be a little unique.

#15 ·
Must agree also. Leave as is. Very nice gun with nice family history. Thanks for sharing it with us here.

Reactions: Colt-SL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.