Do you think this gun went for too much?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Do you think this gun went for too much?

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Love to hear from Brent T. , as it is stated as being his at one time. .It was factory B Master engraved by Steve Kamyk and part of a Talo special edition of 10. It went for right around what I'd expect , but I would put the included black rubber grips back on in a hurry..
    What is the reasoning behind this?
    Just personal taste..Most of the time , Colt wood grips leave me looking for something better .On a master engraved revolver, it seems as though they could have found some walnut with a little more figure to it

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15162 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Hey Bighip….at least now we know where your BP frame went to 8-)
    Oh yes. It’s on the end label. .. BHP frame (BigHip frame) instead of BP .
    Probably letters that way also. The Last bp frame , known as the BigHipIron frame, was used on this gun.
    Gun should’ve went for more with that provenance. Marc should’ve got a Colt letter with that auction... They pay off.

(Hope you do get a BP frame one day, BHP. It will happen)
    Samgunslinger likes this.
    🔫 WWYS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    Okay, I’m going to come clean here, I won the auction and the gun is in transit to my local FFL as we speak. Marc sent me the tracking number yesterday.

I have wanted a BP frame gun for a while and this gun just ticked every box on my want list. I was hoping to spend around four grand on it but I would have been kicking myself if I didn’t win it so after it went up over my high bid I increased my maximum to $5k... and then I went over that. Ugh, it’s a lot of money but I really wanted this gun. I paid a little more than I wanted to and I wasn’t sure if I maybe paid too much for it.

I’ll get a letter for it after I get it for sure. This gun will be well cared for and I’m definitely not going to shoot it. I will post pics after I pick it up.
    Last edited by SDRider; 09-10-2019 at 06:34 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    433 times
    I like that one, I'd just put on some one piece ivories and I'd be a happy camper
    Chaffee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1658 times
    Good for you , man !!!
    29aholic likes this.
    COLT TO THE CORE

Member #
    Liked
    14522 times
    Well by golly, after a 2nd look I think it is a perfect Colt! And cheap for what you got. Congrads to the new owner

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    I'm already on the waiting list for Rob Rowen to make a set of grips for two Colt SAA's, one of which I already own and one of which I haven't found yet. I may just send him this gun and have one set of grips made for it and one for my 5 1/2" gun.

I have picked out a nice pair of fancy walnut blanks he has already set aside for my project and he said he can do one piece grips for this gun.

I'm going with a Fleur De Lis style grip for both guns. Inspired by this thread. https://www.coltforum.com/forums/sin...lis-grips.html
    Last edited by SDRider; 09-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22101 times
    Those fleur de lis grips are outstanding!!

Member #
    Liked
    639 times
    There are nits to pick BUT the fit of the metal parts looks top notch. The casehardening looks good (I’d like to see it in natural light). And I LOVE the italicized barrel address (would love it if they could have mated the caliber stamp to the same period of just “.45 Colt”). But, sir, that is outstanding engraving. As in, quality and precision engraving beautifully executed.

Would $5K have been “more right?” $4800? I would be very happy if I owned that revolver - and if I “overpaid” by $500, I wouldn’t lose one second of sleep.

If the grips were one piece, I’d be happier. But throw some of the latest faux ivory one piece grips on there and shoot the thing. Congrats on a gorgeous SAA.
    Last edited by sixguns; 09-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    639 times
    I posted before I read the whole story. That gun was listed on GB by another seller for a long while at a MUCH higher price. Maybe last Fall and into the winter.

Since it letters as Kamyk engraved, and hopefully the letter reflects the Brent/CustomShop association, you got it VERY right indeed! Had I been bidding, it would have gone for more...at least a little! Congrats!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links