Need some help on value
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Need some help on value

Member #
    Liked
    197 times

Need some help on value

I have a chance to buy this Colt and I am wondering about the value. It is a black powder frame and the S/N is 99263 and seems to be from 1883. It is a .45 and has a faint 2 line address on the barrel in spite of having the front sight replaced with a nickle. It has some mechanical issues such as not holding at half cock, 1 missing screw in trigger guard and the trigger location. The grips seem to be original. The patent lines are partially visible. It has a very sharp W in the hammer slot and a very sharp V on the flat where the back strap bolts. I did not see a serial number on the cylinder. The cylinder pin is worn and showing copper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BoSabbath and Some guy like this.
    The difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector is the taxidermist only takes your skin.

Member #
    Liked
    675 times
    I wouldnt give over 1K for it
    shortyshvac likes this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    11469 times
    The front sight is a Jefferson nickel which wasn't issued until 1938.
    shortyshvac, 29aholic and Prowbar like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    I like guns like this. I have a number of them sitting around my den. It is a gun, used as a gun, nothing more, undoubtedly with some stories to tell. I would pay $1K and work on the action.

Member #
    Liked
    497 times
    The only good part about that gun is the grips. Unless you can do it yourself figure at least another $300 for action work and parts. To me, with the necessary repairs and what I imagine is a seriously pitted bore that gun is only worth the grips that are on it. I guess I am a bit harsher than everyone else.

I've owned a couple of these guns and always ended up selling them. Honestly, what are you going to do with a buffed, refinished gun with a (probably) poor bore that needs a complete action rebuild?

Member #
    Liked
    1332 times
    This gun was cut down from 7-1/2" and has been re-nickeled in a bad manner. The excessive polishing took much of the dates, SN's, and probably the barrel address. In this serial range the barrel and cylinder may have been numbered to match the frame, but not always.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 09-10-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times
    "I've owned a couple of these guns and always ended up selling them. Honestly, what are you going to do with a buffed, refinished gun with a (probably) poor bore that needs a complete action rebuild?"

What I do is hold them, look at them, and wonder what kind of life that old gun had. Certainly a life far more interesting than those high condition guns everyone is seeking. I set them in my den in a worn old holster next to a box of crusty old ammo. To me that is an art form.
    Stefan A, lboos, Mustango and 8 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Thank you all for your input. I learned something today. I assumed because it had a 2 line address on top of the barrel that it was a 4-3/4" barrel originally. I did not realize a 7" barrel would have the 2 line address. I guess I now am going to assume the nickle front sight was added after the barrel was cut off. The rifling in the barrel is really not bad and there is no pitting I could see with a bore light. The cylinder locks up tight. It came out of Seattle Washington and has an old holster and ammo belt with it that are actually cool.
    The difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector is the taxidermist only takes your skin.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    7 1/2 " barrel would NOT have a 2 line address
    29aholic likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    The guy with this SAA just provided a Colt letter with the serial number showing it was shipped to Simmons Hardware in 1886 as a nickle .45 with 4-3/4" barrel. Interesting. When it was refinished and was over polished I wonder how they kept if from being dished around the screws. I understand the gun has low value but I still have questions. How was the old nickle applied back then? Was it dipped in chemicals? If so could the stampings have been filled in with nickle then? Or could it have been applied in a thick coat and the nickle just worn down smooth and the stampings are still intact under the nickle? I am just trying to learn something and satisfy my curiosity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links